Reese turned 9 yesterday. She is my youngest daughter, and the petite one of the family. She’s always been the “little sister.”
I’ve got to face the facts – Reese is not going to be a little girl for much longer. The signs are everywhere.
Top 10 signs that my little girl is growing up:
- She flips her hair over one shoulder.
- She wears her big sisters’ training bras even though there’s nothing there…
- You catch her giggling about a boy in her class.
- She goes in another room when she talks on the phone.
- She changes her earrings to match her mood.
- She asks to straighten her hair before school (in the 3rd grade!).
- She is moodier than she has ever been.
- Hand-me-down clothes are no longer cool.
- Her independence shines through in everything she does (“I can walk myself to school, mom!”)
- She would rather go shopping than open a present on her birthday.
Reese had two days of birthday celebration this year, since her birthday fell on a Sunday and I wanted to take her out for our traditional birthday lunch together. We went out on Saturday to our old birthday stomping ground (Old Country Buffet). Reese didn’t want to go home after our lunch (“I want to have the best birthday date ever!”) but since I wasn’t keen on spending MORE money on her (she got way more than I would normally have given her, but she really DID need all those new clothes…) we ended up playing hangman in the parking lot using words we could see from the car.
I think our little hangman date is going to go down in history as one of our best times together…ever. Even though she’s growing up.
© 2012, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.