In honor of my son’s birthday, I wanted to share the recipe for these delectable rice crispy treats that I made this past weekend. The addition of dry cake mix adds a touch of flavor to the classic rice crispy treats, and the sprinkles add a touch of FUN that will draw the kids (and adults) in…I promise.
I couldn’t get a few of my kids to STOP eating them. I admit I ate more than one myself.
Birthday Cake Rice Crispy Treats
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 (10 oz.) bag of mini marshmallows
- ⅔ cup dry yellow cake mix
- 6 cups crisped rice cereal
- ¼-1/3 cup rainbow sprinkles
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the marshmallow and stir constantly until melted.
- Remove melted marshmallows from heat and stir in the dry cake mix gradually until blended.
- Mix in the cereal a cup or two at a time and combine until well coated with the marshmallow mixture.
- Add sprinkles, a little at a time at a time, and mix until the sprinkles are evenly distributed among the rice crispy mixture. Reserve a few Tablespoons of sprinkles to add to the top.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to the baking dish and use a large spatula or a sheet of wax paper to gently press into the pan. Spread the remaining sprinkles evenly over the top of the rice crispies.
- Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing into squares. Eat immediately or store at room temperature in an airtight container.
© 2013, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.