OK, let’s get this out in the open. Do you call them doughnuts or donuts? Please excuse me as I waffle back and forth between the two terms. Whatever name you use for these breakfast treats, doughnuts/donuts are absolutely delicious, and I love that I can now make them at home.
Yesterday, I had the itch to bake..and to try something new. I had a few slightly bruised apples that no one wanted to eat, so I searched for an apple cinnamon donut recipe until I found one that looked just right.
Not only did these donuts fill my house with the most incredible smells, but they were absolutely incredible. They reminded me of a moist, baked version of apple fritters. Get your attention?
Baked apple cinnamon donuts
- 1 cup oat flour*
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped or shredded
- Additional 2-3 Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup sugar plus 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Spray the doughnut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, melted butter, vanilla, and apple.
- Add the wet mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Spoon the batter into a ziploc bag, cutting a small hole in one corner (or use a pastry bag, if you have one!). Pipe the batter into the doughnut pan, filling each section just below the top.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until set.
- Cool on the stove top for 5 minutes, and then turn the pan over to release the doughnuts on a wire cooling rack.
- Brush the warm doughnuts with additional melted butter and toss in cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
I have to mention…I had a little bit of the browned butter glaze left over from the spice doughnuts I made a week or so ago, and I spread a little on these apple donuts. Yes, on TOP of the cinnamon sugar. The glaze took the doughnuts to a whole new level. Oh my!
Based on a recipe from Italian Food Forever.
© 2013 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.