This post and giveaway are sponsored by Quiznos, but thoughts and opinions are my own.
The first surprise is this brand new, never-before-seen (because I just created it) recipe based on a classic pecan shortbread cookie. I was thinking about how much I love caramels and how delicious caramels would be in a cookie. Even though I love to make my own caramels for the holidays, this time I bought those fun square caramels wrapped in plastic. They made this recipe SO easy.
I tried two other variations before I came to this final recipe…Yes, that means I’ve had to eat a bunch of caramels and pecan shortbread cookies. Somehow I survived….
I admit that these aren’t the prettiest cookies, but what they lack in character on the outside they make up for on the inside. I love the caramel surprise in the middle!
Caramel Pecan Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans
- Caramel candies (the chewy square kind that are wrapped in plastic)
- Powdered sugar (about ½ cup for rolling cookies)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut unwrapped caramel candies in half and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with a hand mixer until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the vanilla, flour, and salt. Add pecans and knead the mixture with your hands (dough will be crumbly).
- Wrap a half piece of caramel in cookie dough so that the caramel is completely covered (this will be more of a pressing and squishing process. Lots of fun).
- Place each cookie-wrapped caramel on a cookie sheet, with space between each cookie. Since these cookies don’t spread as they bake, you can fit them closer together than usual.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes.
- Allow to cool on a wire cooling rack. When cool, roll each cookie in powdered sugar and enjoy!
Get a free cookie from Quiznos this National Cookie Day!
Enter to win a Holiday Cookie Kit
The Holiday Cookie Kit giveaway package includes a $25 Quiznos Gift Card, sugar cookie mix, holiday cookie cutters, frostings and sprinkles. This giveaway is open to residents of the US only and will run through December 13. Winner will be chosen at random and notified via email. Good luck!
© 2013, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.