Chicken Pot Pie is pure comfort food.
It’s also one of the few recipes in my arsenal that every single person in the family cheers for. When I made this last batch of chicken pot pie, my 11 year old son said, “Mom, you do NOT make this often enough. Can you please start making this regularly? Like once a week?”
The other thing I love about making homemade chicken pot pie is that I can use chicken or turkey leftovers (which means that this is the perfect meal for the week after Thanksgiving when you’re sick of eating turkey sandwiches!). It’s also easy to customize to your family’s taste. Don’t like a particular vegetable? Leave it out. I promise–this recipe will become a family favorite in your home like it is in mine.
- Pie crusts for bottom and top of pie (you can either make your own recipe or use frozen pie crust dough)
- ⅓ cup butter
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅔ cup milk
- 2 to 3 cups cooked chicken (or turkey left-overs!)
- 2 cups frozen vegetables, thawed (ie—corn, carrots, and peas)
- Heat oven to 425 F. Prepare piecrusts and place bottom crust in 9-inch pie pan
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth and milk; cook, stirring constantly, until bubbly and thickened.
- Add chicken and vegetables; remove from heat. Spoon chicken mixture into crust-lined pan.
- Top pie with remaining crust; cut slits in several places. Bale at 425 F for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
To make my favorite homemade pie crust, mix 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup shortening in a medium bowl (I like to mix with a large fork). Add 4 Tablespoons of cool water one at a time, mixing as you add. Mix (or lightly knead with hands) until completely combined. Split crust mixture in half and roll each half into a circle (I prefer rolling dough between 2 sheets of wax paper). Press one rolled-out crust into pie plate. *If you need to pre-bake the crust (as in a fruit or cream pie) bake at 425° for about 20 minutes, or until browned.
© 2012 – 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.