Disclosure: This is sponsored recipe for Hatch Chile Co through 15 Minute Suppers. Recipe & opinions are my own. Be sure to read to the end of the post for the 3-winner GIVEAWAY of Hatch Chiles!
A few weeks ago, a cooler box arrived with 5 pounds of frozen Hatch chiles…
As I’ve mentioned before, I am particularly fond of the flavors of the Southwest, and I couldn’t wait to give these chiles a try.
I had the crazy idea to attempt to make a chile cheese sauce that could be used inside a quesadilla. I had never seen nor eaten anything like it before, but I was up to the challenge.
The recipe that resulted from my little experiment was so delicious that I have wanted to shout out from the roof tops…You MUST try this!
I love Hatch Chiles because they are full of flavor but mild enough that they aren’t overpowering (or mouth-burning). They are complimented beautifully with chicken and cheese. I’ve already made these quesadillas twice since I got the delivery of chiles!
Note: I had to make the recipe twice (no complaint) because I lost my notes from my first recipe. The second time I made the sauce it turned out MUCH creamier/runnier than it did the first time, and I preferred that. However, the pictures are from the first cooking, so the pictured sauce is quite a bit thicker than this particular recipe would make. Maybe no one else would notice. I just wanted to make sure to mention that before sharing the recipe and photos!
How to make Hatch Chile Cheese Sauce
- Chile Cheese Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup water
- ¾ to 1 cup diced Hatch green chiles
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Adobo seasoning
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese, shredded
- Grilled chicken, sliced into thin strips
- Flour tortillas
- Monterrey Jack cheese (or a Mexican cheese blend)
- butter for pan
- In a small saucepan, melt 2 T butter. Add flour and stir until completely combined (it will form a sort of paste).
- Add water and stir thoroughly. Add spices and chiles, continuing to stir.
- Finally, add cheese and stir until melted. Remove from burner and set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, melt a small amount of butter (you can also use vegetable oil). Spread chile cheese sauce liberally on a tortilla and place in the hot pan. Layer thinly sliced chicken, cheese, and a tortilla to top.
- Cook tortilla on one side til it begins to brown. Flip and cook the other side. Remove quesadilla to a plate, slice into triangles, and dip into more of the Hatch cheese sauce or some sour cream or salsa. Enjoy!
Layering the quesadillas:
Start with the Hatch green chile cheese sauce…
Add sliced chicken…
And top with some shredded cheese…
The resulting quesadillas are so incredible, I never want to eat a “plain” quesadilla again!
Keep Reading for an Amazing Giveaway of Green Chiles worth over $400!!!
Today’s 15 minute meal ideas all use Hatch Green Chiles from Hatch, NM. There is nothing better than a perfectly ripe chile and these chiles are picked, processed, and frozen within a couple hours. They are super versatile and we’ve created some amazing #15MinuteSuppers using these delicious chiles. There are a few appetizers and the rest are main dishes! Which one is your favorite?
Need more quick 15 minute recipe ideas? Check out these other great #15MinuteSuppers!
- Hot Corn Dip by Jen’s Journey
- Green Chile Guacamole by Around My Family Table
- Hatch Green Chile Crescent Rolls by Celebrating Family
- Hatch Green Chiles Queso by Songs Kate Sang
- Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Soup by Cute as a Fox
- Hatch Chile, Chicken & Bacon Pizza by White Lights on Wednesday
- Chicken Burrito Bowls with Hatch Chile Rice by Home Cooking Memories
- Hatch Green Chile Mac and Cheese by Pink Cake Plate
- Baked Eggs and Green Chilies in Avocado by East Valley Mom Guide
BLOGGERS: Would you like to join us at #15MinuteSuppers? We’d love to have you! Please check out the 15 Minute Suppers website or ask to join the Facebook group (for bloggers) to participate on Fridays…we’d love to have you join us.
Hatch Green Chile Giveaway
Three winners will be selected to receive one of three prizes:
- 1st Prize: 15lbs of Green Chiles
- 2nd Prize: 10lbs of Green Chiles
- 3rd Prize: 5lbs of Green Chiles
* Value of all 3 prizes together is over $500!
The giveaway runs until 4/13 at 11:59pm. Just enter on the Rafflecopter form below. Good luck!
Connect with Hatch Chile Co
© 2014 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.