Mini Corn Dog Muffins with Beef Lit’l Smokies® sausages are a perfect recipe to enjoy on Game Day or any get together! What’s better than a kid-friendly finger food that tastes delicious?
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of The Hillshire Brands Company. All opinions are entirely my own. Check out hashtag #deliciousgametime for more great Game Day ideas!
There is only one thing more important than the Big Game for enjoying a Game Day get together, and that is the food. Am I right? Great-tasting food is an integral part of my Game Day entertaining, so it’s critical to get it right.
When I’m planning my Game Day spread, I consider a few things:
- How easy is the food to prepare?
- How will the food go over with a crowd that varies in ages?
- How easy is clean-up going to be?
- Finger foods and foods that can be eaten while standing/sitting on the couch are a huge plus!
I know that Game Day means lots of people in a small space. The kids are running around. The adults are jumping up out of their seats when their team scores. The last thing I want to do is plan a nice, sit-down meal when everyone really wants finger foods and treats that they can grab on-the-go.
It can be a challenge to find a good balance between easy and delicious, but I think I’ve found the perfect solution. These Mini Corn Dog Muffins with Beef Lit’l Smokies® sausages scored BIG at our house!
How to Make Mini Corn Dog Muffins with Beef Lit’l Smokies® Sausages
- 12 Beef Lit’l Smokies® sausages, cut in half
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- ½ cup self rising flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425° F. Drizzle oil in the cups of a mini muffin tin and place into the oven while you mix the batter, or about 10 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Beat egg in a separate container; add egg and melted butter. Pour in buttermilk, a little at a time, until you have a thick batter. You may have to use a little bit more or less buttermilk to get the right consistency. Pour batter into a large measuring cup with spout for easy pouring.
- Remove hot muffin tin from the oven and immediately pour batter into cups. I like to fill cups to just below the top. Add half of a Lit’l Smokies® sausages to each cup.
- Tip: drizzling the muffin pan with oil and heating the pan before adding the batter will result in wonderfully crispy edges on your corn bread muffins, similar to my favorite part of a corn dog. You don’t want to skip this step!
- Bake at 425° F for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 10 minutes or so, and then remove by running a butter knife along the sides of each muffin.
- Note: my mini muffin tin makes 18 muffins at a time, and this recipe makes about 24 mini muffins. Once I removed the first batch of muffins from the tin, I quickly wiped out the pan, put some additional vegetable oil in the pan, heated it again for 5-10 minutes, and used the rest of the batter.
- Serve hot or room temperature with mustard and ketchup.
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
Time-saving tip: instead of making the corn bread muffins from scratch, you can pick up your favorite corn bread mix at the store and add Lit’l Smokies® sausages to the middle. Easy peasy!
Lit’l Smokies® sausages are found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store! You can pick up all the above ingredients at Walmart!
© 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.