Around here, summertime cooking tends to be very different than school year cooking. The kids have swim team practice most days until 6:15 pm, and the time I have to get dinner ready and feed the family is even shorter than when they’re in school. Not to mention the fact that the afternoon and early evening are the hottest times in the kitchen, where we have the full late-day sun shinning through the window and sliding glass door. Who wants to heat up the kitchen even more than you have to?
I kept seeing this pasta salad (or something similar) around Pinterest – apparently, Pinterest thought I really needed to give this one a try. I decided to give it my own spin, using cheese tortellini instead of macaroni pasta and cubed pepper jack cheese instead of feta cheese. I loved how it turned out!
Because this Mexican Tortellini salad is served cold, I was able to leave it in the fridge and eat it for lunch for the next few days. That’s precisely what I need on hot and hectic summer days.
- 1 (16 ounce) package cheese tortellini
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can corn, drained
- 3 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro (I like to be generous)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup light sour cream
- ¼ cup light mayonnaise
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper
- Cook tortellini according to package directions; drain and rinse with cold water. When tortellini is mostly dry, add to a large mixing bowl.
- Add drained beans, corn, chopped tomatoes, green onions, red onion and cilantro to the bowl with the tortellini. Toss gently.
- In a small bowl, combine all the dressing ingredients together and pour over the pasta mixture.
- Stir together until evenly coated, adding the cubed cheese at the end.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Best when eaten within 2 days.
- Serves 8-12 people.
I don’t know…this may be the perfect salad to take to this weekend’s BBQs and picnics…
Have you made anything lately that was inspired by Pinterest? I love finding ideas there!
*Adapted from this recipe on The Recipe Critic.
For more fun Pinterest remakes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Healthy Banana Coffee Frozen Frappe from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Ranch Baked Zucchini Recipe from A Mom’s Take
- Tropical Strawberry Lemonade Summer Drink Recipe for Kids from Our Family World
- Crunchy Ramen Noodle Salad from Mom Always Finds Out
- Baked Mini Coffee Doughnuts with Cocoa Glaze from Sweep Tight
- Peppermint Sugar Scrub from Upstate Ramblings
- Maple Pecan Ice Cream from LW Vogue
- Fresh Summer Melon Smoothie from How Was Your Day?
- Floating Pool Noodle Toy Bin from Homemaking Hacks
© 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.