We’ve had a few too many snow days lately. And when we’re stuck inside, we tend to head to the kitchen and BAKE. On Friday (snow day #2 of our 5 day weekend), my 14 year old daughter decided she’d like to make some cupcakes. I tried to convince her that if she was going to go through the effort of making a bunch of cupcakes, then she might as well try some new flavors and variations. While she wanted to concentrate on the decorating, I jumped in and came up with my own variation of spice cake cupcakes.
And, OH MY! They were better than I could have imagined.
My oldest daughter even commented, after eating her first cupcake, that they were better than the fancy cupcakes you get at the cupcake bakeries.
They were so delicious that I would have eaten them for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I hadn’t run out of them (and thank goodness I did!).
I love that these cupcakes start with a simple base – aren’t cake mix hacks great?
Orange Spice Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 cup orange juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Orange Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- 3¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ to 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add spice cake mix to a large mixing bowl. Add orange juice, oil, eggs, ginger, and orange zest and mix just until combined. Scoop batter into prepared cupcake pan (either spray cupcake pan with non-stick spray or use cupcake liners).
- Bake for 18-20 minutes at 350°. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan.
- To prepare frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter together until creamy and light. Add powdered sugar gradually and continue beating. Add vanilla, ginger, and zest and best until smooth.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and enjoy! *I added slices of mandarin oranges on top of each cupcake just for fun.
I think I need to make another batch of these. Have I told you how delicious they were and how fast they disappeared?
Now let’s see what you’ve been cooking!
I’m teaming up once again with From Val’s Kitchen and This Mama Loves for our weekly recipe linky. Since mine is a year-end favorite recipe round up, I would LOVE to see your favorite dishes from the past year.
Please post the direct link to your recipe (not your blog URL) and the name of your recipe below. Then be sure to visit again next Monday for a new recipe and another chance to link up!
© 2014 – 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.