I was heading to a party this past Saturday night and had made somewhat healthy appetizers to bring along (that recipe will be coming soon). After licking so much black bean-cheesy goodness off my fingers, I got hungry for something sweet, so I headed downstairs to my food supply shelves to see what kinds of cake mixes we had on hand.
I found a butter pecan cake mix and immediately had a vision of what I could create with it. I still had English toffee left over from my holiday baking, and since it had been staring me in the face for the past few weeks, calling to me to eat it, I figured it was time to put it to use.
This recipe is entirely experimental…but I got enough fantastic feedback from these cupcakes (I shared with several friends and family members) that I knew it was good enough to share.
Oh…and they smell heavenly. Heavenly! I’ve been trying to be SO good about not stuffing my face with these for the last 3 days and it’s been torture. The frosting alone is enough to squash my best will power. The good news is that mini cupcakes like these are not AS bad for you as the full-sized ones. So when I pop a cupcake in after lunch, I’m only using up, say 3 or 4 Weight Watchers points+ instead of 8 or 10…
- 1 butter pecan cake mix, mixed according to package directions (add eggs, oil and water)
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup crushed English toffee (or 2 candy bars like Skor, crushed)
- 1 cup butter
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Line mini or regular-sized cupcake pan with paper liners or spray cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray. Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Mix cake mix according to package directions (you'll probably need to add eggs, water, and oil, but each cake mix varies slightly). Add cocoa powder and crushed toffee candy, reserving about 1-2 tablespoons of toffee to sprinkle on top of the cupcakes when finished. Mix just until all dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into lined cupcake pan, about ¾ full. Bake according to cake mix directions (about 12-14 minutes for mini cupcakes and 18-20 minutes for regular cupcakes).
- Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Start the frosting process while the cupcakes are in the oven. In a small pan over medium heat, cook butter, stirring constantly, for 6-8 minutes or until butter turns a golden brown.
- Pour browned butter into a bowl. Chill until butter has cooled and begins to solidify (be patient...this will take a little while).
- Beat butter with an electric mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy; add powdered sugar and milk, a little at a time, alternating between the two. Finally, add vanilla and beat on low, adding additional powdered sugar or milk if needed to reach desired consistency.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and sprinkle with the reserved toffee crumbs.
- Yields approximately 48 mini cupcakes or 2 dozen regular cupcakes.
I love the subtle chocolate and the slight hint of nuts from the cake batter and the English Toffee, but mostly I love the caramely flavors throughout. All of the flavors compliment each other perfectly! Next time, I’m going to try these cupcakes using a chocolate cake mix and see how they turn out!
Are you ready to indulge?
© 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.