If you know me, you know that I enjoy any excuse to bake. Last week, my youngest son, AJ, had a Blue and Gold banquet for Cub Scouts, and I was tasked to bring a dessert to share. It was the perfect time to try out Bakery Crafts.
I was at Wal-Mart earlier this week, where I was able to pick up a few Bakery Crafts cupcake and cookie decorating kits that took my cupcakes to the next level. I had so much fun with my “Bunny Talk Cupcakes” at the Blue and Gold banquet that I made a fresh batch of cupcakes – this time a whole new recipe! – just for my family.
Many of you who read my blog regularly have seen my “cupcake makeovers.” I am hooked on making a basic cake mix into something extraordinary – and much lighter than the regular treats made straight from the box. Because Easter is coming up next month, I was curious to see if I could make a lighter carrot cake cupcake (because carrots and bunnies just go together!), and I was pleasantly surprised by my results.
I had no idea if my kids would turn their noses up at cupcakes filled with carrots and pineapple (even if they were decorated so adorably) but they were such a hit that we finished them off in less than 2 days!
The best part (beyond the fact that they’re lighter AND delicious)? They’re so easy to make! And with a Bakery Crafts decorating kit, they can taste great and look great, too.
How to Make Hatching Chick Light Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 2 eggs, whole
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup carrots, pureed
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 5 ounce container vanilla or plain Greek yogurt
- 1 Hatching Chick Cookie Cupcake Decorating Kit
- Cream Cheese Frosting (you can buy pre-made frosting, or make my favorite recipe here)
- Sugar cookie dough (I bought refrigerated dough to save time, but you can use your favorite recipe, of course)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line cupcake tin with paper liners found in decorating kit.
- In a blender or food processor, add carrots and pineapple; blend until carrots are finely chopped. Add yogurt and eggs and blend briefly to mix.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients with cake mix and stir til combined (batter will be lumpy).
- Fill each cupcake liner at least 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted at center comes out clean).
- Meanwhile, prepare sugar cookies. Roll out sugar cookie dough and cut out hatching chick shapes. Place on a cookie sheet and bake according to package or recipe directions.
- Let cupcakes and cookies cool completely.
- To decorate: Start with cookies. Using the icing tubes in the kit, frost cookies (I just copied the look of the cookies on the package, although mine didn’t turn out half as cute!).
- Color cream cheese frosting green. Pipe green frosting onto cupcakes.
- Press decorated cookies onto the top of the cupcakes. Sprinkle finished cupcakes with flower candies from kit.
I am no cake, cupcake or cookie decorator, but I loved how these turned out! Note: the cupcakes alone are light…but the frosting and cookie aren’t! But they’re totally worth it!
About Bakery Crafts
For a limited time only, Bakery Crafts will carry select items at select Walmart in-store bakeries and Easter holiday aisle:
- Easter Bunny Cookie Cupcake Decorating Kit: This kit combines a cookie and a cupcake to make an adorable Easter Bunny! Includes: (1) Cookie Cutter, Cupcake Liners, Candy Decorations, and (2) Tubes of Icing.
- Hatching Chick Cookie Cupcake Decoration Kit: This kit combines a cookie and a cupcake to make a cute Hatching Chick! Includes: (1) Cookie Cutter, Cupcake Liners, Candy Decorations, and (2) Tubes of Icing.
- Easter Cake Decoration Kit: Perfect for finishing off Easter themed Cupcakes or Cakes! Includes: (1) Banner and (3) Easter Themed Picks.
- Bunny Tail Icing Decorations: Great for adding the last touch to cupcakes. Includes: Edible Bunny Tail Decorations.
Which Bakery Crafts kit would you like to try?
© 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.