This post brought to you by Breyers Gelato Indulgences. All opinions are 100% mine.
Life changed forever when my husband and I had our first child. No longer were we free to head out to eat or catch a movie together any time we felt like going on a date. If we wanted to have date night, we had to call and schedule a babysitter…then plan our time just right so that we could afford both the babysitter and the date night activity.
Date nights became few and far between. They were simply too difficult to plan and execute. Especially when the kids were little (and bed time was early), we started having more and more “date nights” at home.
Here are a few ideas for making date night fun, affordable, and achievable, no matter how old your kids are or how hard babysitters are to schedule. It doesn’t matter where you are. It only matters that you spend quality, one-on-one time together. So put those kids to bed early and enjoy a fun at-home date night!
5 Ideas for Date Night At Home
- Dinner and a movie…at home! Make the kids a simple, kid-friendly dinner early in the evening and either put them to bed or let them watch a kid movie in another room. When the kids are settled, set the table up nice and serve a fancy home-cooked meal for just the two of you. After dinner, watch a movie together while snuggling under a blanket (it’s much more comfortable than seeing a movie in a theater, I promise!). Pop some popcorn and open up a carton of Breyers® Gelato Indulgences™ to share.
- Game night – Play a few rounds of your favorite games together…or even better, invite over another couple to liven up the competition. (I’m you're your fellow game players would enjoy sharing a carton or two of Breyers® Gelato Indulgences™).
- Read together – Reading aloud is not just for the kids! After the kids are tucked into their beds, snuggle up under a blanket and take turns reading a novel together. Reading a book together as a couple is not only fun in the moment, but it can lead to hours and hours of fun discussion. Don’t forget the dessert!
- Night under the stars – If the weather is nice, sit in the back porch together and roast marshmallows (if you don’t have a fire pit or a place to roast your marshmallows over a fire at home, you can get a S’mores Maker and roast marshmallows anywhere!). Don’t forget to pull out the lawn chairs and binoculars and go star gazing.
- Cook together – Turn the music up (as long as it won’t wake the kids!), get adventurous in the kitchen and try out a new recipe. Pick a theme or go browsing together on Pinterest for some recipes that stand out to both of you. You’ll have fun getting your hands messy together…and then sharing the meal together at the end. Don’t forget dessert afterwards!
On our recent date night at home, we had a little gelato taste testing. Breyers®, already one of our favorite ice cream makers, recently introduced their new Breyers® Gelato Indulgences™. I’ve been eyeing the Gelato Indulgences™ at the store…so it was nice to have an excuse to pick up a few cartons and test them out at home.
The only problem? I couldn’t keep the kids away from them! My oldest daughter was particularly intrigued by all of the gelato in the freezer!
Breyers Gelato Indulgences is available in these four varieties:
- Vanilla Caramel: creamy vanilla gelato topped with luscious caramel sauce and gourmet caramelly curls
- Raspberry Cheesecake: cheesecake gelato topped with luscious raspberry sauce and gourmet graham crumble
- Tiramisu: mascarpone gelato topped with espresso sauce, ladyfinger cookie pieces and sprinkled with gourmet cocoa
- Triple Chocolate: milk chocolate and dark chocolate gelatos topped with white chocolate sauce and chocolatey curls
My favorite was the raspberry cheesecake. And the Triple chocolate. It’s hard to pass up some good chocolate gelato. My husband gravitated towards the vanilla caramel (as did the kids!).
So tell me…what is your favorite way to spend date night at home? And how would you incorporate Breyers Indulgences into your next date night?
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.