Twizzler just celebrated his birthday on Saturday. How is it possible that my baby boy is 9 years old? At my house, the kids make a big deal about “double digits,” and the fact that Twizzler will be 10 on his next birthday is a huge occasion to celebrate. Yes, he’s more excited about being closer to 10 than he is about being 9 right now.
Despite his focus on the big 1-0, I reflected on a few of the things that made the day a success (and a few things I could have planned a little better).
• It has become our tradition to open presents in the morning. Unfortunately, Twizzler didn’t get the memo that Mom and Dad like to sleep in on snowy Saturday mornings. He barged in our room at 6:58 (I looked) and tried to convince us to wake up so that he could open his presents. I told him no. (After saying Happy Birthday and giving him a hug, of course).
• I must remember the value of wrapping the presents the night before. I typically like to wrap the presents, put the special birthday tablecloth on the kitchen table, and set the gifts on top. It’s a festive way for the birthday child to wake up. Kind of like their own mini Christmas morning. This weekend, I forgot.
• There is something incredibly special about having a Mommy-Child birthday date, and I try to take each of my kids out for a special birthday lunch. Twizzler picked McDonalds. Not my favorite place to eat but easy to get to in a snow storm, always open, and relatively cheap. It was perfect. We loved our time together.
• I love to let the birthday child shop for their own presents from the grandparents. When they were younger, I would always buy a present or two with the money the grandparents sent. My kids don’t get too many chances to shop on their own. Twizzler had a blast browsing the aisles of Toys R Us. We left (after 45 minutes of browsing) with the coolest toy ever: two remote control cars that play laser tag. We have had hours of fun with them already.
• I always bake the birthday cake. Twizzler picked chocolate on chocolate, as well as the jungle theme from Wilton’s new birthday line. Everyone got involved in decorating the cake, and yes, the kitchen was a disaster when we were done.
• I take lots and lots of pictures on birthdays but all too often, I forget to get a picture of me with the birthday child. I must remember to take a picture with the birthday child!
What birthday traditions do you have, and how do you make the day special for the birthday child?
© 2010, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
Stephanie @ Geezees says
Great birthday pics…this year we celebrated my son and daughter’s birthday having a rollerskating party!!!
.-= Stephanie @ Geezees´s last blog ..Geezees Census, Who are you people? And a bit about me =-.
SUCH a great idea to let them open their gifts in the morning!
Happy Birthday Twizzler!
.-= angie´s last blog ..Bad Karma =-.
Linda @ My Trendy Tykes says
I hope that he had a great birthday!
Looks like he had a great birthday! And I love all of your traditions. We always go out to eat as a family that night and do the presents at the resturant. Good times!
.-= Safire´s last blog ..Question of the Week =-.
YAY! Happy Birthday to your son. time just fly’s by when your having fun.
Susie's Homemade says
Looks like he had a GREAT birthday:-)
Oh I am glad you aren’t perfect. teehee. Just kidding sounds like you might be really close though! Sounds like it was a fun b-day!!
.-= Brandie´s last blog .."not me" Monday! =-.
You WILL be an awesome mom!
HOW CUTE!! I LOVE how you set up the table with presents so they wake up to them like Christmas morning, I SO want to do that tradition now! And a brunch with mom sounds wonderful too! Man you’re a great mom, I hope I’ll be as cool!
.-= FutureMama´s last blog ..YOU’RE INVITED!! To My Pink or Blue Party =-.
Happy almost-birthday to your son! The time really does go by fast! My oldest daughter will be starting high school next year, and that idea still blows me away!
Wow, you really do make it a special day! I guess I should start some sort of tradition for birthdays.
My son will be 10 in 10 days. Scary!!! I cannot believe how fast it has gone by. It seems just yesterday when he was crawling around. It makes me sad to even think about it! Before I know it, he will be in highschool.
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..Cooking 101 – homemade fish and chips =-.