I’m still surprised at how simple the solution was.
While I am not a fan of big chunky nuts in my bread, I found that adding very finely chopped nuts (walnuts, usually) to my bread batter makes ALL the difference. I just stick nuts in my food processor and chop them really fine. I can’t noticeably feel or taste the nuts when I’m eating the bread, but they make the flavor SO much better.
Of course, the kids like it even better when I add a cup of mini chocolate chips to the batter, too. I typically go half and half. As much as I love chocolate, I’d rather have MY bread chocolate-free.
Ready for the simple banana bread recipe?
My Favorite Banana Bread Recipe
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 3-4 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1½ cups)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely chopped nuts (like walnuts)
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- Heat oven to 350°. Grease bottoms of 2 loaf pans (I use one 8-mini-loaf pan and one regular size loaf pan).
- Beat sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add eggs and mix until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk, and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the banana mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake at 350° for about 20-25 minutes for mini loaves and about 1 hour for 8-inch loaves, or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for at least 5-10 minutes in pan and then loosen carefully with a knife around the edges and cool on a rack until completely cooled.
© 2014 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.