When I was growing up, my mom cooked us a family dinner every night. There were 7 of us – my mom, dad, and 5 kids – just like my family today. Kitchen tables don’t tend to be built for families of seven. Seven is an awkward number to fit around a table. We made it work by having our own seats. We didn’t have “assigned” seats, per se, but we gravitated to certain seats and always sat in the same spot.
A funny thing happened several years ago. I realized that my kids had gravitated towards their favorite seats, too, and now they always sit in the same place, night after night.
Family dinner is an important part of our family’s story, and a small thing like sitting in our favorite seats around the table like I did when I was younger makes me feel connected to the family that I grew up in.
Tonight, we had a full house, with several extra kids over to share our family dinner. I love cooking homestyle foods, especially when I can share. We had a full kitchen, but we ended the evening with full, happy bellies, and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.
Plus…tonight’s dinner was absolutely amazing and I am so excited to share it with you!
The star of tonight’s dinner was RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce. It is RAGÚ’s thickest sauce – you can tell because it hugs the pasta…or the meatballs in our case tonight. RAGÚ® peels, chops and simmers each ingredient and uses a special blend of herbs (basil, fennel, oregano and black pepper) to layer and build the flavor. Plus, they don’t use artificial flavors, artificial colors or high fructose corn syrup. It’s good stuff.
And so is this recipe. But don’t take my word for it. Make this recipe for your own family – you’ll love it!
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 (23 oz) jar RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce, divided (I used roasted garlic)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 a small onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cooked angel hair pasta
- Chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground chicken, 2 tablespoons RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, onion, basil, Italian seasoning, egg, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until all ingredients are incorporated - do not over-mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, form mixture into meatballs; place on a baking sheet (since the meatballs don't spread, you can place them pretty close together).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove baking sheet from oven and turn the oven to broil.
- Brush each meatball with RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce (I used about 1/4 cup). Sprinkle generously with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil meatballs for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Serve hot with angel hair pasta topped with RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Here’s a peak at the behind-the-scenes creation of the recipe. It’s so easy to make these yummy chicken meatballs!
What is your favorite way to use RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce? And what is your favorite flavor? I’m a fan of garlic, so the Roasted Garlic was my flavor of choice.
Want MORE delicious recipes with RAGÚ®? You’ve got to check out the recipe section HERE for a ton of family-friendly homestyle dishes.
© 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
Janet W. says
These look so delicious and flavorful! Thanks for sharing!
Darlene W says
Now this looks like a recipe I could handle
Thank you…again! :) Now that we’ve finished the first batch, I need to make another batch of meatballs to freeze!
Lois @Walking on Sunshine Recipes says
I’ll say it again, this recipe looks amazing and so easy for a busy weeknight! Thank you for sharing with Delicious Dishes Recipe Party this week! Hope to see you again for another party tomorrow!
I’ve made meatballs with beef and turkey but never chicken. I”m going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing at Welcome Home Wednesdays!
I’ve got a family of picky eaters but this is something they would definitely eat. Good idea Lolli.
Carole from Carole's Chatter says
Hi Lolli, this would be a lovely contribution to Food on Friday: Decadent Delights over at Carole’s Chatter. Please do bring it over and add it to the collection. Cheers
These meatballs sound delicious! Thanks for linking up with Merry Monday!
You are the sweetest! Thank you!
Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting says
HOLY HANNAH, this is brilliant. FREAKING BRILLIANT!!! *applause*
Kathryn @ Family Food on the Table says
Meatballs are always a hit at our house and I love making different versions and switching things up. Plus, they freeze great to keep on hand for another night — though you might not get many leftovers in your house ;) These sound so delicious – pinned!
Lois @Walking on Sunshine Recipes says
These meatballs look great. I’ve never cooked with ground chicken! I know my family will love recipe and I love the ease of using a jar sauce! Thanks for sharing!
Helen Fern says
Those are some succulent looking meatballs!! Would love to have you share it at the What’s for Dinner Link up!
I’ve made meatballs so many times with both ground beef and pork, but I don’t know why I haven’t used chicken more before now. It was a hit!
I need to make chicken meatballs more often – they were a huge hit!
Oh yum! Chicken meatballs are a favorite of mine. What a great way to use a great sauce
Theresa (@DearCreatives) says
We just made meatballs tonight but, I love idea of switching it up with ground chicken. Can’t wait to try your recipe.