When I was growing up, my mom cooked us a family dinner every night. There were 7 of us – my mom, dad, and 5 kids – just like my family today. Kitchen tables don’t tend to be built for families of seven. Seven is an awkward number to fit around a table. We made it work by having our own seats. We didn’t have “assigned” seats, per se, but we gravitated to certain seats and always sat in the same spot.
A funny thing happened several years ago. I realized that my kids had gravitated towards their favorite seats, too, and now they always sit in the same place, night after night.
Family dinner is an important part of our family’s story, and a small thing like sitting in our favorite seats around the table like I did when I was younger makes me feel connected to the family that I grew up in.
Tonight, we had a full house, with several extra kids over to share our family dinner. I love cooking homestyle foods, especially when I can share. We had a full kitchen, but we ended the evening with full, happy bellies, and I wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.
Plus…tonight’s dinner was absolutely amazing and I am so excited to share it with you!
The star of tonight’s dinner was RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce. It is RAGÚ’s thickest sauce – you can tell because it hugs the pasta…or the meatballs in our case tonight. RAGÚ® peels, chops and simmers each ingredient and uses a special blend of herbs (basil, fennel, oregano and black pepper) to layer and build the flavor. Plus, they don’t use artificial flavors, artificial colors or high fructose corn syrup. It’s good stuff.
And so is this recipe. But don’t take my word for it. Make this recipe for your own family – you’ll love it!
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 (23 oz) jar RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce, divided (I used roasted garlic)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 a small onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cooked angel hair pasta
- Chopped parsley and grated Parmesan cheese for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground chicken, 2 tablespoons RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, onion, basil, Italian seasoning, egg, salt and pepper. Mix with your hands until all ingredients are incorporated - do not over-mix.
- Using a cookie scoop, form mixture into meatballs; place on a baking sheet (since the meatballs don't spread, you can place them pretty close together).
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove baking sheet from oven and turn the oven to broil.
- Brush each meatball with RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce (I used about 1/4 cup). Sprinkle generously with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil meatballs for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melty and bubbly.
- Serve hot with angel hair pasta topped with RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Here’s a peak at the behind-the-scenes creation of the recipe. It’s so easy to make these yummy chicken meatballs!
What is your favorite way to use RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce? And what is your favorite flavor? I’m a fan of garlic, so the Roasted Garlic was my flavor of choice.
© 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.