Years ago, I was given a recipe for the “best” pizza crust and sauce (from two different people, actually). I tested them with my family who agreed, wrote them down on a blank page in the back of one of my cook books, and have referred to those two recipes many times over the years….
But not often enough.
This past week, I pulled the recipes out for a fun family pizza night at home. The kids LOVE designing their own pizzas – they can have their pizza exactly how they want it. What could be better?
The best homemade pizza crust and sauce
- 1 packet active dry yeast (about 2¼ teaspoons)
- ¾ teaspoon sugar
- 1¼ hot water
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 4 cups flour
- Dissolve yeast in a small bowl with sugar and ¼ cup hot water (105 to 115 degrees). Let sit for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including yeast/water mixture, to a large mixing bowl and stir (I use a KitchenAid mixer for this step). Knead dough until it forms a ball that isn't too sticky (you can add a little more flour or water to the mixture if needed).
- Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and then a towel, and let rise in a warm place for about an hour, until doubled in size.
- Split dough in half for two pizzas or break off smaller balls for individual pizzas. Shape into pizza crusts (form by hand or with a rolling pin) and place onto greased pizza pans.
- Top pizzas as desired and bake for 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees or until crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
In a medium saucepan, simmer the following ingredients for at least 10 minutes:
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 Tablespoon dried basil
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cloves garlic
1/4 teaspoon pepper
In case you were wondering, the kitchen smelled amazing while the sauce simmered!
Our pizzas were delicious and exactly the way we liked them. What are your favorite pizza toppings?
Now let’s see what you’ve been cooking!
I’m teaming up once again with From Val’s Kitchen and This Mama Loves for our weekly recipe linky. Since mine is a year-end favorite recipe round up, I would LOVE to see your favorite dishes from the past year.
Please post the direct link to your recipe (not your blog URL) and the name of your recipe below. Then be sure to visit again next Monday for a new recipe and another chance to link up!
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.