I love the spring time. I love the comfortable temperatures, the sunshine, the blossoms and the colors. I love opening my windows to enjoy fresh air and the sounds of chirping birds. But I don’t love my spring time allergies.
Note: I am a Filtrete Brand blogger ambassador and was compensated for this post, but all opinions are my own.
I love opening my windows on a pleasant spring day, or sleeping with the windows open on a cool spring night. The breeze feels wonderful…but my allergies don’t always tolerate it.
Have you ever noticed a layer of yellow “dust” on your furniture? Yep. Me too. That pollen dust goes straight to my eyes (itchy and red!) and nose (sniff, sniff!).
The good news for allergy sufferers like me is that you don’t have make huge, pricey changes to your home to make it allergy proof – or at the very least more allergy-friendly.
Avoiding (and getting rid of) common allergens is the best treatment for allergies – and it’s natural and cost-effective, too.
Frugal and easy ways to reduce allergens in the home:
- Close those windows. Instead of letting the pollen-heavy fresh air flow through the windows, turn on the air conditioning while pollen season is in full swing….and keep pollen outside where it belongs.
- Wipe away condensation from window frames and sills before it becomes mold – and be sure to clean any mold that has already formed.
- Wash bedding (sheets, pillowcases and blankets) once a week in hot water (water over 130° F will kill dust mites lurking in your sheets and blankets).
- Declutter – all of those knickknacks, books, magazines etc that you’ve got lying around are dust-collectors. Reduce those dust magnets and remember that it’s easier to keep clutter-free surfaces clean.
- Ventilate bathrooms – use an exhaust fan to reduce moisture while taking showers or baths….before that moisture becomes mold and mildew.
- Vacuum regularly with a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter.
- Use an allergen defense filter from Filtrete in your home heating and cooling system and remember to change the filter regularly. Filtrete Filters help reduce allergens in the home by attracting and capturing particles that may aggravate your allergy symptoms.
Did you know? Homes may be more energy efficient than ever (and that’s a good thing!), but because of this our homes are also trapping more pollutants. Indoor air pollutant levels can be 2 to 5 times higher than outdoor levels. By installing a Filtrete Allergen Defense filter, you can reduce common allergens in the home, like pollen, dust, mold spores, and more. Filtrete Allergen Defense filters capture airborne allergens so you can breathe easier.
Of course, there are bigger home projects that you can undertake to reduce the allergens in your home, like replacing carpet and installing hardwood or vinyl floors or replacing upholstered furniture with wood or leather. But making a few simple changes, when done regularly, will help you breathe easier.
Do you or does someone in your home suffer from seasonal allergies? What steps do you take to make your home more allergy-friendly?
Be sure to visit Filtrete to stock up on replacement air filters for allergy season!
Connect with Filtrete
- Website: Filtrete.com
- Filtrete Facebook page
- Twitter: @Filtrete
- Register to receive seasonal e-newsletters featuring special offers, filter change reminders, better home living tips and more at Filtrete.com.
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.