Today is our first day back to school and work from Spring Break – and it was a wonderful, relaxing, fun break that we all needed! To kick off our Spring Break week, I was able to take the family to Kings Dominion in Virginia. This post is sponsored by Cedar Fair Entertainment Company in conjunction with Blog Meets Brand, and I have been compensated for my participation. All opinions and photos are my own.
When was the last time you took the whole family to an amusement park? My kids are the perfect age for enjoying a family day together at Kings Dominion and we had a blast! Spring is the ultimate season to head to Kings Dominion – the weather was perfect, the lines were shorter, and we were able to fit everything in to one day!
We’ve lived in the DC/MD/VA area for many years, and we’ve definitely visited Kings Dominion before, but it had been a while, so the park felt new to most of us. We set out with comfy walking shoes, fully charged phones, and sunglasses.
One of the first orders of business was to get a few souvenir cups (since we are planning on going back again before the season is over!). Kings Dominion offers 2 different types of souvenir cups – one cup can be refilled for free on the day of purchase and then any other visit refills are just a dollar. The other souvenir cup is a little pricier upfront, but you get free refills all season.
Our Favorite Rides at Kings Dominion
My 15-year-old son was drawn to all of the roller coaster rides – especially Intimidator 305 (which is the fastest roller coaster on the East Coast at 90 miles per hour). He told me that it made his Top 3 Roller Coasters Ever list! He convinced me to try it out with him near the end of the day, and I loved it…but I swear it was so fast I couldn’t even scream.
My 16-year-old daughter loved several of the roller coasters, but I think her favorite was Volcano. She had been to Kings Dominion with friends last summer and couldn’t wait to take the rest of the family on the ride.
The ride that we frequented the most was Backlot Stunt Coaster – that was my 10-year-old’s favorite ride, hands-down! I loved that it was thrilling but still kid-friendly (ie, no upside-down loops). He kept asking to go again (and since the lines were so short, we could!).
My 13-year-old loved the food and the getting a matching henna tattoo with her sister.
Benefits of Getting a 2016 Kings Dominion Season Pass
All day while we were in the park, I saw benefits of having the season pass – from free parking to discounts on food in the park. Here are a few of the reasons you should get a 2016 season pass:
- Unlimited visits all season
- Free parking
- Early entry and ride times
- 10% discount on select food and merchandise throughout the park
- Bring-a-friend days
- Free admission to Dinosaurs Alive
What’s HOT at King’s Dominion
• Planet Snoopy – over nine acres of Peanuts themed fun – from rides and shows, to meeting your favorite Peanuts character. Planet Snoopy is perfect for younger kids and has SO much to offer for kids and families to enjoy together!
• Soak City – recently expanded and renovated, including a children’s play area for kids of all ages. We can’t wait to go back to enjoy Soak City during the summer!
• The all-new Delirium – new in 2016, this thrill ride will allow thrill seekers of all ages to fly through the air as they experience gravity-defying hang time.
After your park day is over, don’t forget to set aside time to enjoy in Richmond! My husband used to live in Richmond, and we used to drive down to Richmond ALL the time. We love it! Here are a few things to do in the Richmond, Virginia area.
Have you been to Kings Dominion? What were your favorite rides and features?
- Get tickets HERE!
- Kings Dominion on Facebook
- Kings Dominion on Twitter: @kingsdominionva
- Kings Dominion on Instagram: @kingsdominionva
- #ThisIsYourKidsFun #KDFirstTimer
© 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.