Note: I was invited by Disney to Los Angeles for the world premiere of Frozen, and while I was there I had the opportunity to learn a little about the making of Mary Poppins. I just received the brand new 50th anniversary edition Blu-ray/DVD combo of Mary Poppins in the mail yesterday – all thoughts and opinions on the movie and special features are my own.
I will never watch Mary Poppins quite the same again after viewing Saving Mr. Banks. After screening Saving Mr. Banks and then interviewing Pete Menefee, one of the chimney sweep dancers from the movie, I was eager to see all of those familiar songs and dances through new eyes.
I have watched Mary Poppins dozens of times, but watching the new 50th anniversary edition of Mary Poppins with my husband and kids last night was like watching it for the first time. We laughed together, we sang together…It was beautiful!
In celebration of the 50th Anniversary of Walt Disney’s classic masterpiece, Mary Poppins, the movie is being released from the Disney Vault – for the first time on Blu-ray – on December 10 (ie – it’s available now! Hurry out to get it for the holidays!). Mary Poppins stars Julie Andrews as Mary Poppins (an Academy-Award winning role) and Dick Van Dyke as Bert, and featurs iconic songs including “A Spoonful of Sugar” and “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.” Mary Poppins has been digitally restored for even more magic…like only Mary Poppins can bring.
In addition to the digitally restored feature, the 50th Anniversary Blu-ray DVD includes:
- Mary-OKE’s – Sing along with popular music from the film, specifically “Spoon Full of Sugar,” “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,” Step In Time,” “Chim Chim Cher-ee” – this feature allows viewers to sing along to animated words that display onscreen in unique ways.
- Becoming Mr. Sherman – Join actor Jason Schwartzman as he sits down for a fun and musical-filled afternoon with Richard Sherman. In the new film, SAVING MR BANKS, Schwartzman portrays the Disney Legend, half of the famous composing team, the Sherman Brothers who wrote all the classic songs from MARY POPPINS, as well as many other favorites. Hear heartwarming, revealing stories about the making of this beloved musical, get more insight on working with Walt Disney, and get a unique sneak peek into SAVING MR BANKS, starring Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson.
- Deleted song: “Chimpanzoo”
- ng ofl about taking Mary Poppins to Broadway. The songwriters, actors, and directors talk about creating the stage version – making it new but retaining the feel of the movie. Includes a full musical scene from the Broadway musical.
- A magical reunion with Julie Andrews (Mary), Dick Van Dyke (Bert) and Richard Sherman (one of the song writers).
My favorite special feature was “Becoming Mr. Sherman,” which gave a touching glimpse into making the new movie, “Saving Mr. Banks” as well as the original Mary Poppins. My husband and I were both enthralled.
Whether you’re an old fan of Mary Poppins like me or have kids who have never experienced the magic of Mary, you’ll love the new 50th Anniversary Blu-ray!
Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Trailer on Disney Video
Connect with Mary Poppins and Saving Mr. Banks:
- Buy Mary Poppins 50th Anniversary Edition DVD/Blu-ray today – from $19.99 – $24.99 (prices as of 12/10/13)
- Twitter: @DisneyPictures #MaryPoppins and #SavingMrBanks
Note: Some links within this post are Amazon affiliate links. I may get a couple of pennies if you make a purchase!
© 2013, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.