Yesterday morning, as I hurriedly walked the kids to school, AJ said to me, “Mom, you’re mean.” It was a bad morning. One of those rush-around-the-house trying to find socks, homework, and hair brushes kinds of mornings. I was sternly telling AJ that he needed to speed up the pace, and he (of course) interpreted that as mommy being mean.
Yesterday was not the kind of morning I enjoy.
It’s amazing how the morning sets the tone for the rest of the day. If I can get up early, take a shower before the kids leave for school, and get the kitchen cleaned up before starting my work-at-home day, I feel so much more positive and I am twice as productive as those lazy, grumpy, wish-I-could-go-back-to-bed kinds of mornings.
Mornings are one of the busiest times for us, with kids leaving at 4 different times for three different schools. Parenting expert and author of The Big Book of Parenting Solutions, Dr. Michele Borba and nutritionist and author of Expect the Best, Your Guide to Healthy Eating Before, During & After Pregnancy, Elizabeth Ward, M.S., R.D. have partnered with the Florida Department of Citrus to offer simple solutions to help families start the day on the right foot. A happy, healthy start can set the tone for the day ahead.
Meaningful Morning Checklist:
- Share a joke and have a laugh with your kids
- Give each member of your family a hug on their way out the door
- Squeeze in a nutritious breakfast with your family (including Florida Orange Juice!)
- Create a goodbye ritual with your kids, like a fun handshake or silly saying
- Designate the morning as “unplugged time” and turn off TV, computer, phones, etc. as a way to connect more with each other
Find Florida Orange Juice on Facebook.
I wrote this review while participating in a blog tour campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of the Florida Department of Citrus and received an OJ Gift Pack and a promotional item as a thank you for my participation.
© 2011, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.