I mentioned last Saturday that I was going to focus on one Fishful Thinking ingredient each month between now and June. February is Optimism month. I thought I’d post a little overview of what optimism is and why it’s important (as parents especially) to focus on this great value!
From FishfulThinking.com, I found a list of Optimism Facts:
- Optimism is a skill that all children can learn.
- Optimism helps children solve problems, set goals, build confidence and find ways around obstacles.
- The more Optimism is practiced the easier it becomes.
- Optimism leads to greater happiness and well-being.
- Parents and teachers can help children learn the skills of Optimism.
- Children who are Optimistic:
- Have greater motivation, greater resilience, more positive moods, higher achievement and a greater sense of control
- Perform better in school
- Have better overall physical health
- Have better relationships.
- Children who are pessimistic may:
- Be more likely to become depressed
- Be more likely to experience anxiety
- Be underachievers
- Not do as well in school
- Be at higher risk for a variety of other negative outcomes.
Source: Reivich, K., J.E. Gillham, T.M. Chaplin, & M.E.P. Seligman, from “Helplessness to Optimism: The Role of Resilience in Treating and Preventing Depression in Youth” (2005) in S. Goldstein & R.B. Brooks (Eds.), Handbook of Resilience in Children (pp 223-237). New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers.
This week I plan on focusing on the Optimism activity “Inspire an Attitude of Gratitude.”
By the way, this Tuesday, February 2, 9-11 p.m. EST (8CT, 7 MT, & 6 PT) please join me, Dr. Karen Reivich, Mom it Forward, and many others at the Fishful Thinking twitter party. Details (including RSVP and prizes and a guest post from me!) can be found on Momitforward.com. Hope to see you there!
PS–today is Twizzler’s 9th birthday! I’ll be back soon with birthday pictures!
© 2010, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
Cecily R says
The more optimism is practiced the easier it becomes…I LOVE that!!!
.-= Cecily R´s last blog ..Photo Story Friday and 3-6-5 =-.
It really is such an important skill! And I love that we can teach our children to be optimistic.
Thanks for sharing, optimism really is a learned behavior. It’s such an important life tool.
Kelli @ writingthewaves says
Can’t wait for the #GNO tonight! Fishful Thinking rocks!
Optimism is my favorite part of the Fishful THinking campaign!
.-= angie´s last blog ..Grocery Store Humiliation =-.
Joe Zachs says
Agree with that on children being optimistic/pessimistic
Yes, please do check the program out. I wouldn’t be promoting it if I didn’t believe in it so much! :)
Thanks! We will (have fun, that is). Just wish me luck. It’s snowing, and I am going to brave the roads to take Twiz out for lunch and a shopping trip.
Have fun celebrating!! I am working on the whole optimism thing too. I have noticed in definite difference in myself hope it is spreading to my kiddos!
.-= Brandie´s last blog ..Music Warms My Soul =-.
I keep seeing all of these post about the fishful thinking. I guess I need to check out your previous post and learn about it.
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..It’s Friday and VGNO!!!! =-.