Several months ago, I was challenged to come up with several different DIY puzzle designs for an article I wrote on Home Made Simple and absolutely fell in love with one of the designs – a picture to puzzle popsicle stick craft. I knew I had to make some with my kids and share this easy craft – perfect for summer and kids! – with my readers.
I know a project is popular with my kids when I start out crafting with one child and my other kids wander in the room and join in on their own.
Here’s what I love about these DIY popsicle stick craft puzzles:
- they are simple enough for kids to help with
- they are cheap!
- they are quick to make
- they are sturdy – they should last for a long time!
- they are compact – small enough to fit in a snack-sized plastic baggie
- they are unique and personalized
- they are great as gifts (for teachers, friends, grandparents, etc)
- 4×6 photo (or any other picture…from a magazine, a child’s artwork, etc)
- Popsicle sticks (craft sticks) – I used the narrow sticks (4 1/2 in x 3/8 in)
- Elmer’s glue
- Tape (scotch tape, packing tape, masking tape. I wouldn’t recommend Duct tape)
- Rotary cutter or Exacto knife
- Cutting mat
- Lay popsicle sticks side-by-side on top of the picture you want to make into a puzzle. We used 16 small sticks for a standard 4×6 photo.
- Use two straight edges to tap the sticks until they are lined up evenly and close.
- Replace any craft sticks that are distorted – you want them to lay as flat as possible.
- Carefully place tape across the lined-up popsicle sticks – use enough so that the sticks will stay together when moved/flipped over.
- Spread white glue over the entire surface (the side of the sticks where there is NOT tape)
- Slowly lay your photo on top of the glue and firmly but carefully press down, wiping away any excess glue that comes out the sides.
- Let dry (I recommend letting the glue dry for a few hours – if you move ahead too soon, there will be lots of slipping and sliding)
- Lay picture-side down on a cutting mat and remove the tape.
- Using a rotary cutter, cut in between each stick. This is a step that requires parental supervision!
- Separate each stick, shuffle the pieces, and enjoy putting together your unique photo puzzle.
And now for the visual instructions:
This Picture to Puzzle Popsicle Stick Craft is being featured on Skip to My Lou’s Summer Craft Camp – this is my 4th year participating and I love that it makes me get crafty each summer! There are already a ton of amazing crafts shared by other bloggers this summer – go check them out!
See my previous summer crafts featured on the craft camp:
© 2013 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.