UPDATED: This contest is closed. Congratulations to our winner, Joanne Schultz!!
This is not my kitchen:
And this is not my family room:
But I wish they were. I have never gotten a good handle on decorating or design, and so I was thrilled to hear about Debbie Wiener’s book Slob Proof! Real-Life Design Solutions. And Debbie sent me a signed copy of it to review!
Slob Proof. Yep, I think she wrote this book for my family.
Debbie Wiener a strong advocate for the cleaning-impaired and the decorating-challenged and the owner of Designing Solutions, a full-service interior design firm specializing in durable, cleanable family-friendly interiors with personality, comfort, value. Debbie is the the anti-luxury interior designer, writing about comfort, convenience and value instead of high end indulgence. And, unlike other interior designers who write books, Slob Proof! Real-Life Design Solutions is actually affordable. You can find Debbie’s blog at www.debbiewiener.com, on Facebook, and she’s DebbieWiener on twitter. For a fun video of Debbie (that will get you laughing, I’m sure!) visit SlobProof.com.
In Slob-Proof, Debbie shares how to:
• Decorate for the way you really live. (No one can really live in a show house.)
• Get the biggest bang for each decorating dollar you spend.
• Make color your new BFF.
• Use good lighting to make even modest rooms look impressive.
• Use simple household items to quickly correct everyday damage.
• Keep bathroom floors “spot free” (even if you have boys).
My favorite tip in the book was “Color is camouflage and your best tool in protecting your home from the people who live in it.” I also loved her tips on what kind of window coverings are appropriate for the way rooms are utilized (and whether they are inhabited by kids or pets!). Debbie’s writing was down-to-earth and relateable. There’s no way that a typical design book could have held my attention because, honestly, it’s a different language to me. Luckily, Debbie seems to speak my language. Now, if only I had some extra cash lying around to beautify my house. I could even invite Debbie over for some help–she’s local!
Of course, Debbie was gracious enough to offer to send one of my readers a book, too!
To enter, simply tell me what area of your house needs the most help.
For extra entries, you may do any of the following (please leave a separate comment for each entry):
- Follow me and Debbie on twitter and tweet about this giveaway (once per day) (hint: to make it easy, click the tweet button at the bottom of this post)
- Visit Debbie’s website and tell me one design tip that you learned (hint: Check out her printable tip sheets)
- Check out her book on Amazon and tell me what looks interesting about it (hint: Under the image of the book there’s a link to browse inside the book!)
- Subscribe to my blog.
*This giveaway will end on Friday, February 12 at midnight EST, and winner will be notified by email.
Disclosure: I received a complimentary copy of Slob Proof to review. The thoughts and opinions about the book are my own.
© 2010, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.