I was invited by Disney to attend the red carpet premiere of SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY in Los Angeles this past week. Although expenses were paid, all opinions are my own. The following is a spoiler-free review.
I admit that I was very skeptical when I saw the SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY trailer for the first time. How could Alden Ehrenreich, a new-comer, live up to the legacy of the Han Solo we’ve known and loved for a lifetime? I entered the Dolby Theater a little hesitant, not wanting to hope for too much and be let down.
I am thrilled to report that this movie exceeded my expectations.
Here’s my experience:
Young Han Solo is not the grown-up, experienced, rough-around-the-edges Han we met in Star Wars: A New Hope. He’s a softer, more naive Han, but Han none-the-less. I actually appreciated that Alden Ehrenreich didn’t try to “copy” Harrison Ford’s version of Han Solo from the get-go. What I found was that throughout the movie Han BECAME Han Solo, the character that we know from the original Star Wars trilogy. By the end scenes, I was floored. He did it. Alden was successfully able to show how Han became the Han we love.
What I loved about Solo: A Star Wars Story
- SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY had more of a classic western movie feel to it than a sci-fi action movie in space. While there was a lot of action in the movie, the majority of it took place on the ground instead of in space. I loved the different feel of this movie, while still maintaining the “feel” of a Star Wars movie.
- Donald Glover was born to be Lando Calrissian. He was perfectly cast! And hasn’t everyone been waiting to see how Han won the Millennium Falcon off Lando? Speaking of the Millennium Falcon, we’ve never seen this beloved ship looking so spiffy and clean. Just wait til Han takes it on a few more adventures…
- One of my favorite aspects of SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY was watching the friendship and trust develop between Han Solo and Chewbacca. Their story was an unexpected bonus for me.
- Self-made droid L3-37 (played by the fabulous Phoebe Waller-Bridge) ended up being one of my favorite characters. She was sassy, had a mind of her own, and was full of hilarious lines. She kept me on my toes!
- Emilia Clarke was ideal as Han’s young friend from home and love interest. Is it any wonder that a woman shaped Han so much in his younger years?
- I loved seeing a younger Empire and an even younger Rebellion and seeing how Han Solo’s story was woven around both groups while he maintained his independence.
- Good guy or bad guy? I was asking myself this question throughout the movie, which was full of unexpected twists and turns. I was left with a lot to think about, and the majority of the characters (except maybe Paul Bettany’s character Dryden Vos!) had a little bit of good AND bad in them. Isn’t that reality, though?
- I loved seeing Director Ron Howard’s expert touch in this film. While we won’t know what the movie would have been if he hadn’t gotten involved, I am personally grateful that he did. I hope to see him work on future Star Wars stories.
- While this movie is rated PG-13, I appreciated that it was a very mild PG-13. Not much language, no nudity or overly sexual sequences (there is kissing, but that’s about it), and not a lot of scariness or gore. If your kids have seen any of the other Star Wars movies, they’ll be totally fine with this one.
Be sure to check out SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY when it comes to theaters on May 25! You’re not going to want to miss this movie!
ABOUT SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo befriends his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and meets the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes. The film stars Alden Ehrenreich, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge and Paul Bettany.
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/starwarsmovies
Follow us on Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/starwars
Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/starwarsmovies
Follow our exclusive coverage (with review and interviews coming) by checking out hashtag #HanSoloEvent on social media or click HERE to see all of my Han Solo Event coverage.
© 2018, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.