It has been raining hard for 24 hours. Know what that means? It’s a soup night!
This is a recipe that my sister, Andrea, shared with me quite a while ago. I was skeptical at first (WHOLE wheat kernels?) but everyone LOVES this soup.
Plus, I love the HEALTHINESS factor, and the fact that this is such a filling meatless dinner. Even my picky kids eat this soup.
Vegetarian Wheaty Tortilla Soup
- ½ cup whole wheat berries
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp garlic salt
In a pot, bring wheat to a boil. Cover and simmer till soft (30 minutes). Then add:
- 1 cup water (I personally like to add more liquid than this)
- 1 Tbsp tomato bouillon (you can substitute 1 tsp of beef bouillon for the tomato, for a total of 2 tsp beef)
- 1 tsp beef bouillon
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder (or minced fresh garlic)
- ½ onion, minced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can corn, drained
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- I also sprinkle the soup with some chipotle spice for extra flavor
Simmer. Tear pieces of corn tortilla into individual bowls. Cover with soup. Top with cheese and crushed tortilla chips, olives, sour cream, etc.
Prepare to be amazed. It’s really good.
© 2011 – 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.