My mom is heading back home tomorrow. As tired as I am from everything we’ve done together this past week, I am going to miss her like crazy when I drop her off at the airport in the morning. I really wish I could convince her to move in (though I really suspect she would have a hard time tolerating my noisy kids long term).
Top 10 things that I love about my mom’s visits:
- Mom’s visits are the only times I regularly buy new clothes for myself. I mean she buys clothes for me. I love shopping with my mom.
- We get to eat lunch out almost every day.
- We stay up late chatting (we’ve been staying up way too late, and have been so tired during the day!)
- Mom frequently treats me to hair cuts (I even got highlights today!)
- Mom folds the laundry with me. As much as I try to get the kids to help/do their own laundry, the burden is always heavier on my shoulders. When mom is here, the laundry practically does itself, it gets done so fast!
- I love having someone to help in the kitchen. Again, as great as men and children are, they are rarely as helpful as another woman who is willing to share the chores.
- We share book ideas and swap books we’ve finished with. I helped my mom find The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society for her new Nook.
- The kids love being around Grandma. It has always made me sad that we live so far away from my mom and dad, but I am grateful for the relationships they build with Grandma and Grandpa everytime we see them.
- She is my friend. I simply enjoy being around my mom.
- When Mom is here, I have the rare experience of taking off my “Mommy hat” and just being me for a while. As I sat in the salon chair today, looking at myself in the mirror, I was struck by the fact that regardless of my age, I will always feel like my mom’s daughter. Her little girl. It feels good to just be me and nobody or nothing else, even if it’s only for a few hours every once in a while.
I sure will miss her.
© 2011 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.