Love soup? Be sure to check out my other soup recipes (my favorite thing to cook and eat that isn’t chocolate!).
I signed up to bring a soup to a luncheon earlier today. It was the perfect opportunity to make a cheesy vegetable soup that I had been craving. A friend of mine made this soup many years ago at another, smaller luncheon, and we all asked for the recipe before we had finished eating.
The same thing happened today.
I brought an enormous crock pot full to the brim with soup and left with an empty crock pot. And I had to promise several ladies that I would share the recipe. So without further ado…
Slow Cooker Cheesy Vegetable Soup
- 5 cubed potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped broccoli (or a combination of broccoli and cauliflower)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- **Sauce ingredients:**
- ½ cup butter
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 12 oz American cheese
- Place chopped vegetables and chicken broth into crockpot and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until vegetables are soft.
- 30 minutes before serving, prepare sauce: On the stove melt butter; then add flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Stir until combined.
- Slowly add milk and cook on medium heat until thickened.
- Add sauce to crock pot along with cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and fully combined.
To make chopping so many vegetables a whole lot easier, I use my Vidalia Chop Wizard, a handy tool my mom recommended that I buy…and that has become one of my favorite tools in the kitchen. Instead of taking hours to chop vegetables by hand, it only takes me 30 minutes to prepare everything for the soup.
Variations: Obviously, for a vegetarian meal, it’s easy to substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth. The soup would also be yummy with some added chicken. Veggies can be blended after cooking if you prefer a less chunky soup.
Note: Amazon affiliate code used in post.
© 2013 – 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.