My sister shared this recipe for vegetarian tortilla soup using whole wheat berries with me several years ago. I was very skeptical at first. I had used whole wheat kernels to grind into fresh wheat flour and always have several hundred pounds of whole wheat stored in my basement….but I had never considered eating the wheat whole.
Until I tried this soup.
It’s hearty, healthy, and tasty…and so easy to make. If you’ve never tried whole wheat berries before, you must try this soup.
Vegetarian Wheat Berry Tortilla Soup
- ½ cup whole wheat berries (kernels)
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 heaping Tablespoon tomato bouillon (or bouillon of your choice)
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- In a large pot, add wheat and garlic salt to water; bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add additional ingredients to pot. Simmer until heated through. Adjust spices to taste, if necessary.
- Serve with crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc.
Now let’s see what you’ve been cooking!
I’m teaming up once again with From Val’s Kitchen and This Mama Loves for our weekly recipe linky. Since mine is a year-end favorite recipe round up, I would LOVE to see your favorite dishes from the past year.
Please post the direct link to your recipe (not your blog URL) and the name of your recipe below. Then be sure to visit again next Monday for a new recipe and another chance to link up!
© 2014 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.