Years ago (was it 2003, perhaps?) my aunt asked the extended family members for a few of their favorite recipes to share in a family cookbook. The following recipe was one of the first recipes that I submitted to that collaborative cookbook. This simple and oh-so-easy pasta dish has stood the test of time, and I come back to it regularly (but probably not often enough considering how quick, easy AND tasty it is).
Because it’s easy to switch up the vegetables, use different types of pasta, leave it meatless or toss in some leftover rotisserie chicken, it’s like a new meal every time. I love it because it’s not super saucy (not that saucy is always a bad thing) and feels light and fresh. The kids love it because it’s a tasty, creamy pasta.
Creamy Garlic Pasta
- 16 ounces uncooked pasta (penne rigate, fusilli or rotini all work great)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic (I am generous)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian meal)
- ¾ cup low fat milk
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Steamed vegetables or grilled/rotisserie chicken, if desired
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- While pasta cooks…in a small saucepan, melt butter; add garlic. Cook over medium heat 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring to mix. Stir in broth and milk.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce boils and thickens. Add parsley, salt, pepper, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Toss hot pasta with sauce; serve immediately.
- To make this a more substantial dish, add some vegetables (steam them while the pasta boils!) and/or some sliced, cooked chicken (perfect for leftover rotisserie chicken or a chicken breast that you can throw on the grill while the pasta and sauce heat up.
- Makes 8 (1-cup) servings.
Need more quick suppers? Check out these other great #15MinuteSuppers!
Follow 15 Minute Suppers on Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest
and look for the #15MinuteSuppers hashtag too!
Oriental Style Stir Fried Spaghetti with Bacon from Food 4 Little Ones
Creamy Garlic Pasta from Better in Bulk
Creamy Coconut Shrimp from Around My Family Table
Quick 15 Minute Shrimp Tacos from Jen’s Journey
Shrimp Fajita Rice Bowl from Turning the Clock Back
Pasta with Bacon and Brussels Sprouts from Suburbia Unwrapped
Head over to our #15MinuteSuppers Pinterest Board to see all the past recipes and more delicious goodness!
Would you like to join us at #15MinuteSuppers? We’d love to have you! Please check out the 15 Minute Suppers website or ask to join the Facebook group (for bloggers) to participate on Fridays…we’d love to have you join us.
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
I would love this plain or with the veggies and/or chicken! And I especially like rotini! Nice to make different pastas, I could imagine making this in the summer and adding fresh herbs anything from basil to mint to lemon thyme!!!
Brandie (@ Home Cooking Memories) says
wow, I bet this tastes just amazing! And even better that it’s so easy. Pinned!
My favorite “recipes” are the ones that I throw together with odds and ends in my house. Its easy for anyone to do!
Michelle J. says
This is something even my kids would like (with no veggies)!
Pui Hua says
You made this look absolutely effortless, yet delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Sonia Barton says
I love simple, tasty recipes. Thank you for sharing.
This looks soooo yummy! Love the food photography too!
Rachel @ Bakerita says
Mmm, creamy, garlic, and pasta are all words that get me excited about a recipe separately, and together it’s a recipe I need to try!! This looks amazing, and love how easy it is! Pinned.
shelly peterson says
Making a family cookbook sounds like a lot of fun to do. This recipe looks like something the whole family would love to eat and its easy too.
I love pasta and the recipe is also super easy and looks delicious!
Wendy | Around My Family Table says
The rotini pasta looks so pretty with all the creamy cheesy goodness. Cheesy pasta is always a good bet with the kiddos!
everything tastes better with a cream sauce! This looks delicious!
This looks So. Good. Thanks for the recipe! I can’t wait to add it to our weekly menu!
Jennifer Sikora says
I could totally eat that whole bowl! I LOVE pasta and this looks right up my alley. YUM