Years ago (was it 2003, perhaps?) my aunt asked the extended family members for a few of their favorite recipes to share in a family cookbook. The following recipe was one of the first recipes that I submitted to that collaborative cookbook. This simple and oh-so-easy pasta dish has stood the test of time, and I come back to it regularly (but probably not often enough considering how quick, easy AND tasty it is).
Because it’s easy to switch up the vegetables, use different types of pasta, leave it meatless or toss in some leftover rotisserie chicken, it’s like a new meal every time. I love it because it’s not super saucy (not that saucy is always a bad thing) and feels light and fresh. The kids love it because it’s a tasty, creamy pasta.
Creamy Garlic Pasta
- 16 ounces uncooked pasta (penne rigate, fusilli or rotini all work great)
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic (I am generous)
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian meal)
- ¾ cup low fat milk
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Steamed vegetables or grilled/rotisserie chicken, if desired
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- While pasta cooks…in a small saucepan, melt butter; add garlic. Cook over medium heat 1 minute. Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring to mix. Stir in broth and milk.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until sauce boils and thickens. Add parsley, salt, pepper, and cheese; stir until cheese is melted. Toss hot pasta with sauce; serve immediately.
- To make this a more substantial dish, add some vegetables (steam them while the pasta boils!) and/or some sliced, cooked chicken (perfect for leftover rotisserie chicken or a chicken breast that you can throw on the grill while the pasta and sauce heat up.
- Makes 8 (1-cup) servings.
Need more quick suppers? Check out these other great #15MinuteSuppers!
Oriental Style Stir Fried Spaghetti with Bacon from Food 4 Little Ones
Creamy Garlic Pasta from Better in Bulk
Creamy Coconut Shrimp from Around My Family Table
Quick 15 Minute Shrimp Tacos from Jen’s Journey
Shrimp Fajita Rice Bowl from Turning the Clock Back
Pasta with Bacon and Brussels Sprouts from Suburbia Unwrapped
Head over to our #15MinuteSuppers Pinterest Board to see all the past recipes and more delicious goodness!
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.