One of my favorite traditions over the years has been spending the month of December reading Christmas books with the family. We have gathered a huge collection of Christmas stories over the years (two boxes full!). I am quick to grab any Christmas books that I see at used books stores or thrift stores (I’ve found some amazing treasures!). Note: Amazon affiliate links are used in this post.
I celebrated my first Christmas as a mom way back on Christmas Day 1996. My first daughter was a day old, and we were released from the hospital. I couldn’t believe the miracle that had happened on Christmas Eve. I had a perfect, beautiful baby girl! In the past 19 years, I’ve welcomed four more kids to the family and made a ton of holiday memories along the way. Some of these books are precious parts of our Christmas memories and I plan to keep it that way. Now that our family is getting older, I look forward to someday being known as the cool Grandma with all of the Christmas books and hands-on nativities.
I’ve gathered a list of some of our personal favorite holiday stories and Christmas picture books from some of our favorite authors below so that you can enjoy 25 days of Christmas books with your kids.
25 Days of Christmas Books for Kids
- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey by Susan Wojciechowski (Author), P.J. Lynch (Illustrator)
- The Crippled Lamb by Max Lucado
- The Christmas Wish by Lori Evert (Author), Per Breiehagen (Photographer)
- The Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. Seuss
- A Charlie Brown Christmas by Charles M. Schulz (Author), Scott Jeralds (Illustrator)
- A Wish to Be A Christmas Tree by Colleen Monroe (Author), Michael Glenn Monroe (Illustrator)
- The Night Before Christmas by Charles Santore
- The Animals’ Santa by Jan Brett
- Santa’s Favorite Story: Santa Tells the Story of the First Christmas by Hisako Aoki (Author), Ivan Gantschev (Illustrator)
- Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale by Martin Waddell (Author), Jason Cockcroft (Illustrator)
- The Christmas Baby by Marion Dane Bauer (Author), Richard Cowdrey (Illustrator)
- Legend of the Christmas Stocking by Rick Osborne (Author), James Griffin (Author), Jim Griffin (Illustrator)
- The Legend of the Christmas Cookie: Sharing the True Meaning of Christmas by Dandi Daley Mackall (Author), Richard Cowdrey (Illustrator)
- Olive, the Other Reindeer by Vivian Walsh (Author), J.otto Seibold (Illustrator)
- The Christmas Owl by Angela Muse (Author), Helen H. Wu (Illustrator)
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Karma Wilson (Author), Jane Chapman (Illustrator)
- The Itsy Bitsy Snowman by Jeffrey Burton (Author), Sanja Rescek (Illustrator)
- Christmas in the Manger by Nola Buck (Author), Felicia Bond (Illustrator)
- Humphrey’s First Christmas by Carol Heyer
- The Little Drummer Boy by Ezra Jack Keats
- The Friendly Beasts: an old English Christmas Carol by Tomie dePaola
- The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola
- The Little Fir Tree by Margaret Wise Brown (Author), Jim LaMarche (Illustrator)
- An Orange for Frankie by Patricia Polacco
For more Christmas and winter ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Christmas Games for Groups by In Our Spare Time
- 7 Christmas Games by Gaggle of Gamers
- 5 Festive Feel-Good Christmas Stories for Grown-Ups by Pretty Opinionated
- Funniest Christmas Movies of All Time by Our Family World
- Non-traditional Christmas Movies by Upstate Ramblings
- Our Top 10 Christmas Shows to Watch Each Year by Day by Day In Our World
© 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
Ellen Christian (@ellenblogs) says
Great choices. The Polar Express is my all time favorite!