My sister shared this salsa recipe with me years ago and it quickly became a family favorite. We make it at just about every family gathering (it’s wonderful during the summer with a few extra fresh tomatoes) and it’s always a hit with company. While this salsa is delicious any time of the year, it is especially perfect this week as the black eyed pea is said to bring good luck for the new year when eaten on January 1.
Corn, Avocado and Black Eyed Peas Salsa
- 1 can corn, drained
- 1 can black eyed peas, drained
- 2-3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 avocados, chopped
- 1-2 bunches green onion or ⅓ cup white onion, chopped
- Fresh cilantro, to taste, chopped (I am generous with my cilantro - about ⅓ cup)
- Dry Italian dressing, prepared according to package (or about ¾ to 1 cup bottled Italian dressing)
- Add corn and black eyed peas, drained, to a large bowl with chopped vegetables and cilantro. Mix package of Italian dressing according to package directions and stir into salsa.
- Serve cold with tortilla chips.
I’ve made 3 batches of Corn, Avocado and Black Eyed Peas Salsa since Christmas day because we eat it so quickly (luckily it’s just as quick to make, so I don’t mind). I love that it gets my kids to eat so many veggies and beans!
If you would like to make a healthier version, simply reduce the amount of Italian dressing or cut back on the amount of oil that you add to the dressing mix (you could use vinegar and water to make the dressing without the oil). Or use a reduced-fat prepared Italian dressing. Don’t want to eat tortilla chips? This salsa is tasty enough to eat by the spoonful, without the chips. I’ve done it plenty of times!
If you’d like your salsa to have a little bit of traditional salsa “kick” then add some chopped jalapeno peppers, to taste.
Do you have any traditional New Years dishes that you like to eat each year? Be sure to check out my recipe for Black Eyed Peas and Sausage with Sweet Corn Cake. It’s one of my top 10 dishes of all time.
© 2014 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.