I was invited to Los Angeles along with 24 other bloggers to cover the Pirates of the Caribbean press event as well as the newest Walt Disney Signature Collection release of Bambi on Blu-ray, DVD and Digital HD. All travel and accommodations were covered by Disney, but all thoughts and opinions are my own. Amazon affiliate links are used within this post. Movie stills posted courtesy of Disney.
Today marks the Walt Disney Signature Collection release of Bambi, a classic Disney film that is celebrating its 75th anniversary this year! Bambi joins three other classic Disney stories in the Collection – “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs,” “Beauty and the Beast,” and “Pinocchio.”
The Collection release includes all-new bonus material, including recordings of Walt Disney discussing the production of Bambi, deleted scenes, and so much more. I think I may have enjoyed watching all of the bonus material even more than I enjoyed the movie (this is often the case….I LOVE behind the scenes looks!).
You can purchase Bambi: the new Walt Disney Signature Collection Blu-ray/DVD on Amazon or at retailers everywhere now!
Bambi was released in 1942 during World War II. Production took extra long (over five years!) because of its hand-drawn artwork and attention to detail. When I was watching the movie again recently, I was struck by the artistic value of the movie and found myself getting lost in the scenery.
I appreciated this insight from Ted Sears, Story Development, in “Inside Walt’s Story,” an intimate look into the transcripts of the planning sessions that Walt and his team had when working on Bambi. He said, “What bothers some of us is thinking the story we’re writing is Bambi: The Book. I think we should get away from the book. I think that we should look at it as a symphony based on the story of Bambi, or suggested by the story of Bambi. If we try to follow the book, we’re just going to be handicapped all the way through and the story will be too straight.”
I’m grateful that Walt and his team were inspired to do the movie the way that they did, because Bambi is a story to be FELT, rather than just “watched.”
Check out the bonus features on the new Signature Collection release:
NEW SPECIAL FEATURES:
- The Bambi Effect – Bambi was full of innovations for its time. Take a look at how those past innovations affected future Disney animated titles, all the way up to today.
- Studio Stories: “Bambi” – Listen in on intimate moments where Walt Disney discusses the challenges, pitfalls, and triumphs during production of Bambi.
- Deleted Scenes – Bambi’s Ice and Snow & The Grasshopper
- Bambi Fawn Facts – Think you know everything there is to know about Bambi and his friends? Discover fun real-life facts about the creatures that live in the forest he calls home.
- Oswald The Lucky Rabbit – “Africa Before Dark” – Oswald Short
- Celebrating Tyrus Wong (Digital Exclusive)- A heartfelt look at the man who played a key role in the success of Bambi. He had a unique signature style all to his own. The soft water-colored backgrounds and beautiful palettes in Bambi were inspired by Tyrus’ concept art paintings.
Classic Special Features:
- Deleted Scenes – Two Leaves, Bambi Stuck on a Reed, Winter Grass, & Twitterpated
- The Making of Bambi: A Prince is Born
- Story: Telling the Tale
- Characters: Drawn to Nature
- Actors: Giving Voice to Animals
- Art Design: Impressions of the Forest
- Music: Nature’s Symphony
- History: Back to the Beginning
- Trick of the Trade
- Inside the Disney Archives
- The Old Mill – Animated Short
- Original Theatrical Trailer
- The Golden Age
*Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer
I’m excited about these free printables for kids. Click on the images below to download!
Bambi Backyard Camp-Out
Bambi My First Garden
BONUS: Don’t miss the exclusive Disney Movie Rewards offer for a tank top featuring the Paul Felix art inspired by BAMBI, which will be available via Disney Movie Rewards with every digital purchase/redemption of BAMBI. For more information on the promotion, click here.
© 2017, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.