Before my oldest daughter headed back to college after the holidays, the two of us sat down to do some crafts together. When we were brainstorming what we should create, Kim suggested that I make a button heart canvas based on something she had seen previously. She described what she had in mind and we worked together to craft it…and when it was finished, she loved it so much that she put it in her suitcase and took it back to her apartment.
I love that the finished canvas is perfect for a Valentine’s Day gift or decoration, but it’s cute enough to display all year long.
How to make a button heart canvas:
- Square canvas
- Buttons (variety of sizes and shades)
- Black acrylic paint
- Large paint brush or sponge brush
- Heart shape/stencil and pencil
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Lay masking tape in stripes along canvas, wrapping tape around the back. Wherever you have not taped will get painted – you can make stripes even or do a combination of thick and thin stripes. Be creative!
- Paint exposed canvas, including around sides, and allow to dry completely.
- When paint is dry, remove masking tape.
- Lightly draw the outline of a heart on your canvas (this can be erased later if desired).
- Glue buttons inside the heart outline, filling in spaces as much as possible (this is where it helps to have a good variety of button sizes!).
- That’s it! Once the glue has set, erase pencil if visible and hang your art work!
PS – check out my other Valentine’s Day crafts!
Looking for more Valentine’s Day projects?
Check out this quick and easy Valentine’s Day printable wall hanging or put together a simple Valentine’s Day dry erase message frame.
These miniature chocolate sprinkled “donuts” are guaranteed to be your kids’ favorite thing!
© 2015 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.