I proved to myself this weekend that I have been functioning on 85% adrenaline, because I was going strong until about an hour after my second class was over. Once I no longer had anything to anticipate or prepare for, my body (and my mind) slowly but systematically shut down. By Saturday evening, I looked like a zombie with pale skin and sunken eyes. Not my best look (I challenge you to look closely at the pictures of me at the conference. I bet you can pick out the photos of me AFTER I taught versus before).
Despite my extreme fatigue, I had a blast and a half at the Casual Blogger Conference. There’s no way I can adequately describe the amazing experience of being surrounded by my blogging friends and blogging heros (especially when those heros become friends!). Here are some of the highlights (for me!) of the #cbc10:
• Not only did I ride in a limo with the MomBabe (who I absolutely adore) and the genius behind LeeLou Blogs, but our very cute limo driver stopped at a gas station so that we could get candy, drinks, and advil (necessities when you’re on the run between engagements). And I only got to ride in said limo because my new friend, Elisa (aka Motherboard), the other piece of the Casual Blogger Conference puzzle, insisted that I leave my car at point A and take the limo to point B. She then drove me all the way back to point A to pick up my car JUST so I could have that limo ride. Sweet!
• I spoke in front of two different crowds of people. Strangers, friends, icons of the blogging world. And my voice did not shake. My knees did not go weak. I don’t know if what I said was intelligible or if it helped anyone (I hope so!) but I do know that I got through it better than I would have hoped. Who would have guessed that I would like public speaking so much?
• I am convinced that Someone planned the snacks at the concert on Friday night Just For Me. Jars and jars full of candy, with seemingly endless refills. My dream come true. (And, yes, I loaded my bag with candy to take home to snack on throughout the conference, because I really do like candy THAT MUCH.)
• I have learned this before, but at the CBC this simple fact was reaffirmed: Some friendships started online are just as strong as those begun at home. Some bonds seem even stronger. There were a few bloggers that I have interacted with for the past few years that I finally had the chance to connect with this past weekend, and other friendships that were started and will continue. Rather than naming all of them and risking missing anybody (I love you guys!!) I’ll just say this: the Blog Frog rocks! And so do loyal readers. Wow.
• As long as I have been doing this, there is still so much to learn, and I wish that I could soak in some of the traits of the fabulous women that taught classes this weekend. The cool thing is that I have the confidence to do it. I’ve come farther than I thought I would with this blog, and I can keep improving. Now if only I can keep attending these conferences so that I can soak in more greatness, I’ll be happy.
• Between the free massage, the eyebrow waxing (not sure if that really fits into the “fun” category….), the swag, the friends, getting to drive a Lexus AND a BMW, and the fantastic concert with Mindy Gledhill and Cameron Rafati, I had more fun packed into 3 days than I typically pack into 6 months. Take a look at the amazingness (what? That’s not a word?) that is Cameron:
And then take a look at how close I was to him (heck, he put his arm around me and TALKED to me) and how cute he was with a big room full of mom bloggers acting like teenagers:
Intimate concerts are awesome. Awesome.
• I love blogging. Sometimes I think I let blogging and the stresses that come from meeting deadlines and feeling like I need to publish something every day get to me (did you notice that I didn’t post anything for over 2 days?!) but this weekend, some of the passion has returned. I might not be the best writer. Heck, I know I’m not the best at much, but I love what I do. I document my family’s life. I take pictures. I get to test out really cool stuff. And it is so cool that you guys are out there listening.
© 2010, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.