I guess you could call me an ingredient snob.
I wasn’t always this way. But sometime between my first and second year of marriage, I developed a cookie-making complex. Every batch I made was a flop and my husband convinced me that it all had to do with the ingredients I was using.
So I admit….it wasn’t easy for me to NOT use butter when I made cookies this week. Unilever has a wide variety of soft spreads, including Country Crock, I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, Promise, Brummel & Brown, and Imperial. I use spreads for many other things, but rarely, if ever for cookies. But these statistics made me reconsider…
I love the fact that these spreads are Good to Know because they:
- Have 0g trans fat per serving
- Contain no partially hydrogenated oils
- Have no cholesterol
- Are 70% less fat than butter per serving
- Have 30% fewer calories than butter per serving
I realize that there are many misconceptions about soft spreads, so as part of the Good to Know initiative, Unilever has set out to dispel the myths and share the facts.
So I gave it a try. I bought some I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!, pulled out a delicious-looking recipe for chewy ginger cookies, and started baking.
Chewy Ginger Cookies Recipe
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 cup I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!®
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven 350°.
- Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Beat I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!® with 1 cup granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in egg until blended. Stir in molasses.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture just until blended. Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes or more.
- Gently roll dough into 1-inch balls with lightly floured hands, then roll in sugar.
- Arrange on ungreased baking sheets, 2 inches apart. (Store dough in the refrigerator in between batches.)
- Bake 8 minutes or until cookie edges are firm. Remove cookies from sheets and cool on a cooking rack.
The cookies turned out better than I ever could have imagined. They were moist, soft, chewy….everything you could ever hope for in a cookie, really.
I had such a great time making these cookies with I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter! that I made another cookie variety a couple days later (which I’ll be sharing this week as well). Keep your eyes open!
Confection Perfection Sweepstakes
Unilever is hosting its annual Confection Perfection Sweepstakes right now. You can sign up to receive 31 delectable holiday cookie dessert recipes delivered right to your inbox and be entered to win a Kitchen Aid stand mixer daily!
Enter to Win
One lucky reader will receive a Good to Know baking set which includes:
· Silpat® baking sheet liner
· Steel Cooling Rack
· Nonstick cookie sheet
· Stainless steel cookie scoop
· $10 gift card to purchase your Unilever spread of choice and baking ingredients
Enter on the Rafflecopter form below. This giveaway will end at midnight on 12/28/12 and is open to US residents only. A winner will be chosen at random and notified by email.
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Note: I received the above baking set to facilitate this post, but all thoughts, photos, and baking opinions are my own.
© 2012, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.