I was recently sent a HelloFresh meal kit for my family of six so that I could test out the service in exchange for writing an honest review. All thoughts are my own. Be sure to grab the HelloFresh Coupon code at the bottom to save $35 off your first box!
What is HelloFresh?
HelloFresh is a meal-kit delivery service that provides delicious, easy-to-make meals each week. The concept is fairly simple. HelloFresh ships you fresh ingredients, perfectly portioned for your family, along with detailed recipes with color photos. You can choose between 2-person meal kits and 4-person meal kits. We chose one 4-person and one 2-person kit for our family so we had plenty to feed our six hungry tummies.
If you need anything else for the recipe (ie, very common ingredients like salt and pepper or Extra virgin olive oil) they’ll let you know right at the top of the recipe. Otherwise, the HelloFresh box really does have everything you need to make a delicious meal.
Here are a couple things that stood out to me about HelloFresh:
- You choose the day and time to have your meal kit delivered to you…and shipping is free of charge
- You can specify dietary preferences, such as vegetarian, low-calorie, etc. and HelloFresh will show you recipes that fit your preferences
- Chose from Classic, Veggie or Family Plans and see the upcoming recipes to chose from on their website
- HelloFresh chefs work alongside a dietician to create 10 new recipes each week
- Ingredients are sources from independent producers and are always fresh and high-quality
- You can pause delivery or cancel your account at any time – there’s no long-term commitment. You have until 5 days before your next scheduled delivery to cancel
- Because HelloFresh ingredients are delivered in separate packets, if there’s something you don’t like or are allergic to, it’s easy to leave them out without “ruining” the meal
Our HelloFresh Delivery
We tried the following meals:
- Thai Beef Skewers aka Satay with Peanut Dipping Sauce, Broccoli, and Jasmine Rice
- Spanish-Style Spaghetti with Shrimp and Chorizo
- Butter-Basted Chicken with with Peppery Potato Mash and Crispy Carrots
Opening the boxes – for me – was more exciting than opening Christmas presents. I was thrilled to not only have a fridge full of good, fresh food, but a menu plan of exactly what I would cook for the week. There’s nothing worse than having no idea what’s for dinner! I absolutely loved that HelloFresh took care of my two least favorite things about cooking: shopping for ingredients and making a menu plan.
The boxes were packaged extremely well. Everything was nice and cold when it got to my house. I was especially impressed that each meal had its own smaller box within the main delivery box so that I knew what ingredients and portions went with which recipes.
When it came time to cook each of the recipes, I found the recipes very easy to follow. I was impressed that they were all done, from start to on-the-table, in about 30 minutes.
Another thing I LOVED was that I’m able to keep the recipes and make the meals again and again.
The meal that got the most praise from the whole family was the butter-basted chicken. I cook chicken quite a bit, but I’ve never cooked it quite like that. The kids loved the chicken (who doesn’t love meat that’s been basted in butter?!) and I fell in love with the carrots. They were so simple but so, so tasty, and I’ll be roasting them like that again!
Not only is HelloFresh a great service to use when you know you’re going to have a busy week ahead (it’s so much cheaper than eating out, and you know exactly what’s in the food, too!), but it would also make a perfect gift. I would recommend HelloFresh as an awesome gift for new parents, for a family that’s just getting settled in a new house, or simply as a “thinking of you” gift.
When would you use HelloFresh? Check out their upcoming recipes and let me know which recipe you can’t wait to try!
Ready to try HelloFresh? I’ve got a HelloFresh Coupon code for you! Use code FOODFUNFAMILY35 to get $35 off of your first box!
© 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.