Do you ever throw together a meal wholly based on an ingredient or two that you need to use up before it goes bad? I seem to do that more often than I should, but every once in a while my accidental meals turn into dinners that we make again and again.
Such was the case the other night.
I was trying to use up some leftover rice and needed to come up with a different way of eating it (we were growing tired of an abundance of tortillas filled with rice and shredded meat…). Since the temperatures have been unpleasant to say the least, soup sounded like the perfect solution. I grabbed a package of kielbasa in the fridge, a can of cannelloni beans, the remnants of a bag of fresh spinach, and a can of diced tomatoes. I added some broth and spices and was undeniably pleased with the results.
- 1 package kielbasa or smoked sausage, sliced thin (packages are usually around 16 ounces)
- ½ an onion, chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ to 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can cannelloni beans, drained (can substitute any other white bean or bean of your choice)
- 1 can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste (about ¼ teaspoon each)
- Place sliced smoked sausage/kielbasa, chopped onion, chopped spinach, and garlic in a large pot and saute until spinach is wilted and onions soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, stir, and cover. Cook on high for about 10 minutes, til heated through.
- If you have more time, it is always fine to simmer uncovered to heat the soup more slowly.
Need more quick suppers? Check out these other great #15MinuteSuppers!
Vegetarian Greek Pasta with Feta from Around My Family Table
Caribbean Jerk Cod with Asparagus al Dente from Songs Kate Sang
Stirfry Recipe with Sprouts from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
Tomato and Basil Pesto Pasta from Jen’s Journey
Seafood Salad from Just 2 Sisters
Kielbasa, Spinach and Rice Soup from Better in Bulk
Head over to our #15MinuteSuppers Pinterest Board to see all the past recipes and more delicious goodness!
Would you like to join us at #15MinuteSuppers? We’d love to have you! Please check out the 15 Minute Suppers website or ask to join the Facebook group (for bloggers) to participate on Fridays…we’d love to have you join us.
© 2014 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.