This post on how to save money on you next vacation is part of a sponsored series with Socialstars and Shell; all opinions are my own. #ShellCrowd #fuelrewards
Summer is just around the corner. Unbelievable, isn’t it? We’ve had several beautiful spring-like days this past week, and I’m looking forward to more sunshine in the days ahead.
As much as I’m not a fan of heat and humidity, I LOVE summer because it’s the time of year when we can do more traveling as a family. Vacationing with a family of seven can hit a little hard on the wallet, so we’ve had to be creative in our efforts to travel as a family. The good news is that there are many ways that families – regardless of size – can make traveling affordable. And when you don’t have to worry so much about travel expenses, you can spend more time focusing on having fun and creating memories together (which is what family trips are all about, right?).
Here are a few of our tips for saving money on vacations:
How to Save Money on Your Next Vacation
- Start saving now. It’s amazing how far a few changes throughout the year can go. A few things that have helped us save money throughout the year (so that we have more to spend on travel) include:
- cut back on eating out
- reduce unnecessary extras on monthly bills (ie, check your cable or your internet bill. Are there features that you aren’t utilizing that you could cut out?)
- put a little cash aside each month in a vacation fund
- Spend wisely on the road. One of the biggest expenses we have when we’re traveling is eating out. Instead of eating each meal at a restaurant (which can be pricey with a family as big as ours!) we try to make sure that we find places to stay that offer a free breakfast. We bring snacks along with us so we’re not tempted to grab junk food at every gas station we stop at, and we stop at a local grocery store for sandwich fixings for lunches on-the-go instead of eating lunch at a restaurant. Instead of spending money on a fancy lunch, we spend time together at a park for a picnic lunch. Not only are we saving money, but we’re creating fun vacation memories, too!
- Use a trip-planning tool or travel app to find the best deals wherever you’re heading. You can often find discount tickets to attractions at local grocery stores or online. We also like to find hidden, free gems that the locals love and recommend. Sometimes the off-the-beaten-path discoveries end up being our favorite experiences on our travels.
- Save money on each fill-up. We love to take long road trips together, but the price of gas can add up fast. In order to save money on gas, we use the Shell Fuel Rewards® program to save money on each gallon of gas. Check out the details below.
Did you know? When you use the Shell’s Fuel Rewards® program when you fill your tank with gas, you can save 3 cents per gallon EVERY time? Also, if you link a Mastercard, VISA, or American Express credit card to your Rewards account, you can EARN 5 cents/gallon or MORE for every $50 you spend (this is not just on money you spend on gas…anything you buy is included!).
You can even COMBINE savings – earn 10 cents/gallon when you use your linked card to dine out, 15 cents/gallon when you shop online at participating retailers, 20 cents/gallon when you book a flight through the Rewards program. You can STACK those savings and pay 45 cents/gallon LESS at the pump (this is just an example). When you use those stacked savings on your next vacation, just imagine how much LESS you’ll be spending at the pump!
BONUS: New members get a 25 cents per gallon Sign Up Bonus
Find out more about the Shell Fuel Rewards® program at my first post HERE!
How do you save money on family travel? Share with me in the comments below!
© 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
shelly peterson says
Vacation? What’s a vacation? lol. I surely need one. Thanks for the tips! I am hoping to take one with a friend towards the end of the Summer.
It is true about eating out and spending more. A little planning and packed lunches go a long way in saving money.