Love quinoa? Love Tex-Mex flavors? Then you’ll love this easy one-pan Tex-Mex Sausage Quinoa Skillet!
I consider myself a pretty good cook. My kids are fed (mostly) home-cooked meals, and I rarely make a dinner that’s a total flop. But it’s also pretty rare for me to make a dinner dish that is so well received that the kids are raving about it and talking about it 2 days after finishing it.
Last week, I made a one-skillet quinoa, based on a this one-pan Mexican quinoa that I found on Pinterest…except that I wanted to add a some meat to it to fill my hungry kids a little more. I also know that my family LOVES black beans and cumin and cilantro in Mexican dishes so I increased all of those for our taste.
I wouldn’t change a thing. It was SO GOOD. While we were in the process of eating dinner, the kids started making plans to take the leftovers for school lunch the next day, and my 16-year-old remarked the next day that it had been her best school lunch ever in all of her 12 years of school.
Ready for the recipe? You’ll love how easy it is to prepare, and everyone will love how delicious it tastes. And then your husband will love how easy it is to clean up when you only use one pan (because that’s totally how it works, right??).
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and minced
- 2 cups quinoa
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 (15.5-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Saute ground sausage, garlic, and jalapeno in a large (12-inch) skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in quinoa, chicken broth, beans, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until quinoa is cooked through (about 20-25 minutes). Stir a few times during cooking period. Add additional water after 15 or 20 minutes if liquid is soaked up and quinoa not yet cooked through.
- Before serving, stir in lime juice. Top with avocado and cilantro.
Note: I made my sausage quinoa dinner in a cast iron skillet, but you can use any large skillet.
© 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.