Last summer I was invited to the Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama in Montgomery, Alabama to experience the new 2015 Hyundai Sonata. I loved getting to know the features in the new Sonata in Alabama, but perhaps even more fun was having the opportunity to test drive the 2015 Sonata at home with the whole family. Although I was sent a Sonata to drive for a week, all thoughts about the car are my own (and my family’s). Please note: ignore the snow in these pictures. Yes, we had snow on the ground when I had the Sonata at my house. It’s been a busy few months…
I like to point out at the beginning of each of my car reviews that I am not a technical car reviewer. I am more interested in comfort and drivability than in the technical stats.
And let me tell you – the 2015 Hyundai Sonata scored a perfect 10 in both comfort and drivability for our family. Never before has my husband been so smitten with a car. I am not joking or exaggerating when I say that he commented on how much he loved (I mean…really LOVED) the Sonata every day that we had it parked in front of our house. He stole the keys and took the Sonata out as often as he could during those 7 days…and I dare say he even volunteered for more errands during that week as well, just so he could spend time in the Sonata. I have never seen him fall in love with a car the way he fell in love with the Sonata.
While I have been able to test drive several Hyundais over the last few years, this was the first Hyundai I’ve had the chance to bring home. ONE day was all it took for my husband to seriously consider adding a Hyundai to our family. Each subsequent day in the car just convinced him even more.
Want to learn a little about the 2015 Sonata…and why I’m sure you will fall in love with it, too?
About the 2015 Hyundai Sonata:
The 2015 Sonata is available in 3 models: The SE, the Sport (more volume), and the Limited (the premium model). The Sport 2.0T (2.0L Turbo) has an even sportier body and feel with its super-responsive turbo-charged engine.
The new Sonata has an incredible 106.1 cubic feet of passenger volume and a total interior volume of 122.4 cubic feet. Since I’m a mom of teenagers (one of whom is 5’8″) I love finding cars that have plenty of leg room. The Sonata was equally as comfortable for the driver and front passenger as it was for the 3 passengers in the back.
Notable safety features:
- Standard 7 airbags, including driver’s knee airbag designed to help prevent the driver from sliding down the seat in a collision.
- Also standard: electronic stability control, vehicle stability management, traction control, ABS and tire pressure monitoring system with individual tire pressure display.
- Forward collision warning, blind spot detection, rear cross traffic alert, and lane departure warning system are all available.
Cool convenience features:
- High beam assist so you don’t have to worry about blinding oncoming traffic when you forget to turn the high beams off again!
- Smart cruise control (SCC) with full stop capability with front-grille-mounted radar sensor so you can maintain safer, consistent spacing with the vehicle ahead.
- Smart trunk gives drivers a convenient hands-free way to open the trunk. No feet needed! The driver simply approaches the Sonata’s trunk with the key fob in a purse or pocket and waits 3 seconds. The trunk will automatically open.
- Built-in sunshades in rear windows.
- Heated AND ventilated (cooled) front seats – the cooled seats were truly amazing in Alabama in June! Plus, heated rear seats.
- Heated steering wheel included in Tech package.
The fuel economy on the new 2015 Sonata varies from 23-28 MPG city and 32-38 MPG highway, with a combined 28-32 MPG. The 2015 Sonata begins at $21,150, with the base model $300 less than the previous year model it is replacing.
Multimedia and BLUE LINK
The 2015 model Sonata is the second Sonata to offer the next-generation Blue Link system, but this time it comes with the new Hyundai Assurance Car Care in-vehicle app. You can even control features in your car with your Android Wear smartwatch. Incredible!
“Blue Link is a dynamic and innovative connected car solution that combines safety, car care, remote functionality and infotainment into a complete package.”
Here are a few things you can do with Blue Link:
- Automatic Collision Notification: Your car automatically calls for help so you don’t have to worry about a thing.
- SOS Emergency Assistance: Help is just a button push away, 24/7 – 365 days a year.
- Service Link: You can schedule a Car Care appointment with your preferred dealer from your vehicle without even using your phone.
- Monthly Vehicle Health Report: A vehicle health evaluation of key performance systems will be delivered to your email monthly (or you can check it out in the mobile app).
Speaking of the mobile app, here are a few things you can do with the mobile app (including the smartwatch option):
- Remotely start the engine
- Remotely lock or unlock the doors
- Remotely flash the lights and honk the horn in an emergency or to find your car in crowded parking lot
- Find your car with the help of Google Maps™
- Call roadside assistance
- Call Blue Link
The 2015 Hyundai Sonata totally wowed our family. I can’t wait to introduce my family to more of the Hyundai family!
The top collage images were taken by me. All other images are courtesy of Hyundai.
© 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.