I love to read. I wish I had the time to dedicate a few hours to reading every day. Several years ago, a group of my friends – all book lovers like me – decided to form a book club. Our monthly gatherings to discuss the books that we read is still one of my favorite memories…they were something that all of us looked forward to. This reading guide and giveaway for This is Where I Leave You is sponsored but all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Tips for a successful book club get-together:
- READ the book that you’re discussing. Believe it or not, I’ve been to several book clubs where the majority of the attendees didn’t read more than 5 pages. When most of us read the book, the discussion is much more lively and interesting. We really get into some fascinating discussions!
- Do a little research. I loved finding out about the author, other books that he or she has written, when and where the author lived, etc. It is also fun to find out more about the history of the book or the time period/situation that it was based upon. I love finding out if any of our books have been made into movies – and then organizing a Girl’s Night Out (or in) to watch the movie together. After reading the book, of course!
- Every book club needs some good food. One of the things I always look forward to the most at book club meetings is the variety of tasty treats (it’s best when everyone takes a turn). This week, I made some incredible from-scratch Nutella Brownie Bites (which I’ll be sharing in an upcoming recipe post) that would be a perfect addition to your next book club.
- Bring the book…along with notes, questions, and reading guides if any are available. It always helps to bring along a favorite quote or a question that came to your mind while reading to kick off the discussion. Most of my book club books end up annotated, highlighted, and dog eared. I love it!
- Make yourself comfortable. There’s something about lounging on a comfy couch or stretched out on the carpet with a few pillows (versus sitting in straight-backed chairs around a table) that helps loosed everyone up for more sharing and interesting conversation. Wear your yoga pants and t-shirts. Book club is not the time to get all fancied up!
This is Where I Leave You Reading Guide for Book Clubs
Jonathan Tropper’s bestselling novel is the perfect book club book…and since there’s a movie coming out on September 19 (book club and girl’s night out? Awesome!). Note: I personally don’t see R-rated movies.
I love finding reading guides for the books I read, and I’m excited to share this printable reading guide for This is Where I Leave You. Simply click here or click the preview image below (I cropped it to remove any spoilers).
ABOUT This Is Where I Leave You – In Theaters September 19
The dramatic comedy “This is Where I Leave You” is directed by Shawn Levy, and based on the hilarious and poignant best-selling novel by Jonathan Tropper. It features a starring ensemble cast including Golden Globe winner Jason Bateman (“Arrested Development”); Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Tina Fey (“30 Rock”); and two-time Oscar® winner, multiple Golden Globe honoree and 2013 Emmy Award nominee Jane Fonda (“Klute,” “Coming Home,” HBO’s “The Newsroom”).
When their father passes away, four grown siblings, bruised and banged up by their respective adult lives, are forced to return to their childhood home and live under the same roof together for a week, along with their over-sharing mother and an assortment of spouses, exes and might-have-beens. Confronting their history and the frayed states of their relationships among the people who know and love them best, they ultimately reconnect in hysterical and emotionally affecting ways amid the chaos, humor, heartache and redemption that only families can provide—driving us insane even as they remind us of our truest, and often best, selves.
Connect with This Is Where I Leave You
This Is Where I Leave You GIVEAWAY
I’m giving away one (1) $25 Visa gift card (to see the film in theaters!) and a copy of the book. Enter on the Rafflecopter form below. This giveaway is open to US residents only and ends on 9/19 at midnight. A winner will be chosen at random and notified via email. Good luck!
© 2014, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.