There was a time in my life as a mom that I made boxed macaroni and cheese several times a week. It’s simply a kid-friendly (and therefore mom-friendly) dish. Since my kids are bigger, I’ve gotten out of the habit of making mac and cheese very often but the fact is, I still love macaroni and cheese. It’s comfort food.
This past week, I experimented a little with a homemade white cheddar mac and cheese and was blown away by how quick and easy it was…and how absolutely delicious it tasted. I took a risk by adding grilled apples to the recipe, but it totally payed off. The apples added a fun sweetness to the cheesy dish which I especially loved since I am allergic to raw apples and usually only eat my cooked apples in desserts covered in sugar.
This dish cooks up very quickly, but you do have to have a few things going at once – the pot of water for the pasta, the indoor grill for the chicken, and the saucepan for the sauce. I was able to handle it all on my own, though.
White Cheddar Mac and Cheese with Grilled Chicken and Apples
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons white flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, cubed or shredded
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1-2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Seasoned salt, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ? teaspoon ground pepper
- Pinch of paprika
- 1 medium apple, sliced, peel on
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- Cook macaroni pasta per package instructions.
- Sprinkle chicken with seasoned salt to taste. Cook chicken on an indoor or outdoor grill (or in a fry pan if necessary) while pasta and sauce are cooking. When I use my indoor grill, chicken cooks in about 7 minutes. Cut chicken into thin slices.
- In a medium saucepan on medium heat, add butter and cook until melted. Add flour and mix thoroughly.
- Pour in milk gradually and stir to combine. Heat mixture until milk is hot - do not boil.
- Add shredded or cubed cheese to milk mixture and cook, stirring until cheese is melted.
- Add sliced apples to grill and cook for just a minute (you may have to put foil underneath if you're cooking on an outdoor grill. If you're using an indoor grill or fry pan, use the same cooking surface as the chicken) - sprinkle with a touch of seasoned salt if desired.
- Drain macaroni and combine pasta and sauce. Sprinkle with paprika, seasoned salt and pepper to taste. Toss with grilled chicken and apples.
- To serve, sprinkle with green onions and serve with a side of green peas.
Today, the #15MinuteSuppers bloggers have teamed up to bring you macaroni and cheese supper ideas in only 15 minutes. So, while the kids are having their plain mac&cheese you can dress yours up and create something more supper worthy! Have you been enjoying all these delicious and quick meals every Friday? Our goal is to help you get a meal on your table in less time than you could get take out or order a pizza.
You have to check out these delicious 15 Minute Suppers:
Bacon Cheeseburger Mac & Cheese from Lizzie Jane Baby
Veggie Macaroni and Cheese from Just 2 Sisters
Mac n Cheese with Pepper and Bacon from Sunshine and Sippy Cups
Easy Stovetop Mac and Cheese with Bacon from Songs Kate Sang
Buffalo Chicken Macaroni and Cheese from Around My Family Table
A few of the #15MinuteSuppers bloggers have joined together to help spread the word about this new project we are working on. We’re excited to offer this Amazon.com giveaway below! Giveaway ends 11/26.
Enter to win an
$80 Amazon Gift Card
just in time for holiday shopping!
© 2013 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.