Note: I was invited to attend the Washington DC Premiere of ‘White House Down’ at AMC Georgetown and had the chance to meet the stars of the movie, but all opinions are my own.
I mean, would you turn down the opportunity to have Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx, Joey King, and Maggie Gyllenhaal join you in the theater minutes before watching the premiere of the movie they just made together?
I was happy to “make room” in my schedule, which admittedly has been quite busy lately…
My ordeal getting from my house to the theater in Georgetown for the White House Down premiere could not have been more typical of Washington DC. I left my house plenty early to meet up with Lara from Chicken Nuggets of Wisdom and her daughter so that we could drive the rest of the way into the city together. Not only did I run into painfully slow DC traffic, but Lara and I were completely thrown off by a road closure and crazy detours that sent us in circles and made us miss our pre-movie mixer.
Luckily, we arrived in perfect time to grab some seats near the front (ie – very close to the actors when they walked in the room. In fact, you can see the side of my head and my camera trying to catch a shot of Channing as he entered the theater in the video below).
My local friend, Tonia Sanders from The Chatty Momma, caught this on her camera from the Premiere. In the video, see what Channing and Jamie have to say about being fathers and what they thought about working on this movie together. I especially loved Jamie Foxx’s singing as they entered the theater…
About White House Down:
Capitol Policeman John Cale (Channing Tatum) has just been denied his dream job with the Secret Service of protecting President James Sawyer (Jamie Foxx). Not wanting to let down his little girl (Joey King) with the news, he takes her on a tour of the White House, when the complex is overtaken by a heavily armed paramilitary group. Now, with the nation’s government falling into chaos and time running out, it’s up to Cale to save the president, his daughter, and the country.
If you haven’t seen the trailer yet, take a minute to watch. This movie is action-packed!
While I wrote a more thorough review of White House Down for Surf and Sunshine, I thought it would be fun to make a Top 10 list about my experience with White House Down.
My White House Down Top 10
Note: These are in no particular order.
- Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx have great chemistry. They make an unlikely but fantastic action duo.
- Joey King’s character was a strong, smart girl who ended up being one of the true heros of the movie.
- White House Down combines action with a TON of humor. Prepare to laugh.
- President Sawyer’s white sneakers and gum = hilarious.
- Speeding cameras made it into the movie. One of the best DC-humor additions.
- My awesome post-movie discovery: Emily Cale’s YouTube channel.
- At the heart of the movie is a father’s love for his daughter and his fierce protective instincts.
- I laughed at the movie’s accurate portrayal of DC traffic.
- The movie took a turn near the end that I didn’t see coming. Surprise!
- Channing Tatum joked about blogging in the movie. In a theater full of bloggers, that was a popular exchange!
White House Down opens in theaters on Friday, June 28, 2013.
PS – it’s days like these that I love my job.
© 2013, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.