Last month, I shared a new family-friendly recipe using RAGU Homestyle Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce (seriously, if you haven’t see this recipe for Chicken Parmesan Meatballs, you really should go save it now!).
This week, I was challenged to create another recipe using RAGU Homestyle sauces, and I immediately thought about trying a lasagna soup. I have seen several recipes for lasagna soup in the past that looked delicious….but a little complicated. I rarely make lasagna because it’s so time consuming – all of the layering (actually, dealing with wet, floppy, sticky cooked noodles is enough to deter me!).
But we LOVE eating lasagna – the sauce, the cheese, the noodles – at our house, so I really wanted to figure out a way to have the flavors of lasagna without all the work.
I totally nailed it with this soup. It was so easy to make, and everyone loved having the lasagna noodles already cut up – so much easier to make AND eat, I promise!
The reason tonight’s dinner was so easy and tasty was RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce. It is RAGÚ’s thickest sauce, which was perfect for our thick and hearty lasagna soup. RAGÚ® peels, chops and simmers each ingredient and uses a special blend of herbs (basil, fennel, oregano and black pepper) to layer and build the flavor. Plus, they don’t use artificial flavors, artificial colors or high fructose corn syrup.
You can get RAGU Homestyle in the following delicious flavors:
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Traditional Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Meat Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Four Cheese Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Roasted Garlic Sauce
- Homestyle Thick and Hearty Mushroom Sauce
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (23 oz.) jar RAGU Homestyle Pasta Sauce
- 5-6 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (6 oz) jar tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles, broken into pieces
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Basil, dried or fresh, chopped
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese
- Brown ground beef, diced onion, and garlic in a large pot (I used a cast iron pot), Drain any excess oil.
- Add RAGU Homestyle sauce, chicken broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices to the cooked meat mixture. Stir in broken lasagna noodles. Heat to boiling, then reduce temperature to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup cream, stir, and heat for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- To serve, top each bowl of soup with a scoop of ricotta cheese, and sprinkle with mozzarella, Parmesan, and basil.
If you love cheese like we do, then take our lead and be generous with the cheese you add to your soup! You can’t go wrong by loading it with these three yummy cheeses!
What is your favorite way to use RAGÚ® Homestyle sauce? And what is your favorite flavor? Sometimes a good, hearty traditional sauce hits the spot!
© 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.