When I was a kid, my mom had a pumpkin roll recipe that she made during the Halloween to Thanksgiving season. That recipe is included in a well-worn, well-used family cookbook that one of my aunts put together years ago, and today I’m going to share that recipe with you.
I just made one change to Mom’s old recipe. Instead of layering the pumpkin cake roll with her traditional cream cheese frosting, I made a Cool Whip cream cheese filling this time. Mind you, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a traditional cream cheese frosting. Far from it. I just enjoyed making a slightly lighter frosting this time around…with amazing results.
Pumpkin Roll With Cool Whip-Cream Cheese Filling
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- powdered sugar
- Cool Whip-cream cheese filling
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cups Cool Whip whipped topping
- Preheat oven to 375°. Grease and flour a 15x10x1" jellyroll pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat 3 eggs and 1 cup sugar at high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. Fold into the pumpkin mixture.
- Spread into a greased and floured jellyroll pan.
- Bake at 375° for 15 minutes. While the cake is baking, generously sprinkle powdered sugar over a clean towel, spread flat on a counter or table.
- When cake is out of the oven, immediately turn out onto the powdered sugar-covered towel. Roll the towel up with the cake inside (roll the long side for smaller spirals and short side for larger spirals). Cool in the refrigerator.
- Prepare the filling by beating cream cheese and ½ cups powdered sugar. Whip in the Cool Whip until completely smooth.
- Once cooled, unroll the cake carefully and spread the filling on the top.
- Roll the cake back up and cover tightly with plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice with a sharp knife and serve. Store in the refrigerator.
This pumpkin cake roll is a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving…or any Fall get together. Enjoy!
© 2013 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.