These amazing mint chocolate rice krispie treats are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day because they’re green…but they’re delicious enough to enjoy all year long. I know we do!
I have been looking for fun ways to get ready for St. Patrick’s Day, so I experimented the other night with rice krispie treats. They’re so versatile that I knew they’d be the perfect “canvas.” The result was delicious – green, lightly minty, and covered with a layer of chocolate.
Just be careful and hide these from any sneaky leprechauns. These treats have a tendency to disappear pretty quickly (and I’m blaming the leprechauns! Wouldn’t you?).
Mint Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats for St. Patrick’s Day
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 32 regular marshmallows (or 3 cups mini marshmallows)
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- Green food coloring a few drops)
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- 4 oz melting chocolate
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add marshmallows and melt, stirring frequently.
- When the marshmallow/butter mixture is fully melted, remove the pan from the heat and add peppermint extract and green food coloring for desired color (I added a few drops).
- Pour rice cereal into the pan and stir gently until completely covered.
- Press rice krispie treats into a lightly buttered 9x13 baking dish and press firmly into pan.
- Melt chocolate (I melted my chocolate in the microwave) and pour over rice crispy treats in pan. Let cool for at least 30 minutes and cut into bars.
- Store rice krispie treats in a covered container.
My kids couldn’t keep their hands off these green rice krispie treats. I might have had a *few* of them myself….or maybe I can blame those sneaky leprechauns!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day (soon!). How will you be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day?
© 2013 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.