These amazing mint chocolate rice krispie treats are perfect for St. Patrick’s Day because they’re green…but they’re delicious enough to enjoy all year long. I know we do!
I have been looking for fun ways to get ready for St. Patrick’s Day, so I experimented the other night with rice krispie treats. They’re so versatile that I knew they’d be the perfect “canvas.” The result was delicious – green, lightly minty, and covered with a layer of chocolate.
Just be careful and hide these from any sneaky leprechauns. These treats have a tendency to disappear pretty quickly (and I’m blaming the leprechauns! Wouldn’t you?).
Mint Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats for St. Patrick’s Day
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 32 regular marshmallows (or 3 cups mini marshmallows)
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- Green food coloring a few drops)
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- 4 oz melting chocolate
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add marshmallows and melt, stirring frequently.
- When the marshmallow/butter mixture is fully melted, remove the pan from the heat and add peppermint extract and green food coloring for desired color (I added a few drops).
- Pour rice cereal into the pan and stir gently until completely covered.
- Press rice krispie treats into a lightly buttered 9x13 baking dish and press firmly into pan.
- Melt chocolate (I melted my chocolate in the microwave) and pour over rice crispy treats in pan. Let cool for at least 30 minutes and cut into bars.
- Store rice krispie treats in a covered container.
My kids couldn’t keep their hands off these green rice krispie treats. I might have had a *few* of them myself….or maybe I can blame those sneaky leprechauns!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day (soon!). How will you be celebrating St. Patrick’s Day?
© 2013 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
These looks amazing, I will make some tomorrow. Thanks for sharing. Yum!
Thanks! I hope you both enjoy!
Mother of 3 says
Oh I have one boy that just LOVES anything mint chocolate. I’m going to have to try making these for him. Pinned.
April R - Uncookie Cutter says
Mint, chocolate and rice krispie treats? Sounds like an amazing combination! Thanks for sharing, I’m pinning! My kiddos would love these!
These look so fun! My kids LOVE Rice Krispie Treats – Mint Chocolate is such a different flavor for them! Great recipe. I hope you’ll link this one up at the You Link It, We Make it party at knockitoffkim.com!
Oh my goodness that looks delicious! I think I’m going to have to make them before St. Patrick’s Day comes around again :) Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Whoa those look so good! I missed this before St P’s….but I don’t think I’ll be able to wait, I’ll have to make them for Halloween!
L. Rowan McKnight says
Oooooh, no. No. I did NOT need to see this. I am most certainly making these. Yum!
Melissa Chapman says
These look totally scrumptious-who couldn’t love a green treat?
Kids love green food. Especially when it isn’t normally green.
Tina @ Life Without Pink says
Wow what a great idea! I’ll have to make this for the kids.