Yep. Chocolate chip cookie dough rice krispie treats. 3 layers of awesomeness. I don’t know what came over me.
I had an idea recently to make a new kind of rice krispie treat. I have no idea if other people have tried this before… but I know that we’ll be making it again. These are a little more complicated than your typical rice krispie treats, but they are in a whole other league.
And I have a feeling that no one really needs me to convince them to try this recipe. The ingredients and pictures can speak for themselves.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Rice Krispie Treats
- No-Bake Cookie Dough:
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Rice Krispie Treats:
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 package (10 oz) marshmallows
- 3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 3 cups Cocoa Krispies cereal
- Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, water and vanilla. Stir in flour and salt until fully combined. Gently stir in chocolate chips. Set aside.
- Put regular rice krispies and cocoa krispies into separate bowls. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted.
- Pour half of the marshmallow mixture over the rice krispies and half over the cocoa krispies. Stir each bowl carefully until combined.
- Scoop cocoa krispie mixture into the 9x13 pan. Press gently with the flat end of a wooden spoon or large spatula.
- Crumble cookie dough over cocoa krispies and press down. Finally, add the rice krispie layer and press down to mesh layers. Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips, if desired.
- Let cool and then slice into squares and enjoy!
PS – it’s totally acceptable to eat some of the cookie dough while you’re working. There are no eggs in the dough so it’s perfectly safe! I didn’t use all of the cookie dough in the middle layer, so we happily snacked on the extras.
Also? As cute as the mini chocolate chips looked on top, they didn’t “stick” to the rice krispie treats, so they all ended up falling off when we ate them. Just a warning.
Can you believe these things? Oh my goodness! Talk about satisfying a craving!
© 2014 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.