Did you know that May is National Burger Month?
May is the perfect time of year to celebrate this most iconic American summer-time food, isn’t it? With Memorial Day just days away, and with it the unofficial beginning of summer, the rest of the 15 Minute Supper bloggers and I thought it would be perfect to commemorate National Burger Month with a collection of gourmet burgers that can be made in 15 minutes or less.
When I was given the challenge of creating a gourmet burger, the first thing that came to my mind was a Greek burger with tzatziki sauce. I had never had one before, but I instinctually knew that it would be good. I LOVE Greek flavors (this isn’t the first time I’ve made a Greek-inspired 15 Minute Suppers – you should try my Gyro-style Greek Wraps).
And, OH BOY, was it good!
If I had a little extra time, I would mix the burger spices in to ground beef and form my own patties, but frozen patties are so quick and easy that this becomes a recipe for even the busiest of nights and not just special occasions.
The ciabatta rolls were a lucky guess….and really made these burgers gourmet for me. I wanted something that was a little more fancy than a regular hamburger bun, and the ciabatta rolls did the trick. The only complaint was that my burgers were not quite big enough to fill the buns. Next time, I’ll go for larger patties!
Ready for the recipe?? There are 3 parts to making this easy gourmet burger: Spicing and grilling the burgers, making the tzatziki sauce, and topping the hamburger. And, yes, as long as you stay on task and follow the instruction order, you really CAN make 4 gourmet Greek burgers in just 15 minutes!
- 4 frozen burger patties
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- 2 teaspoons Oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Tzatziki sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon garlic, chopped or dried
- 3 mini cucumbers, peeled
- 2 teaspoons dried dill
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Ciabatta rolls
- Feta cheese
- Sliced tomatoes
- Grilled/sauteed onions
- Mix the spices in a small bowl. Generously sprinkle and rub the spices on both sides of each burger patty. Grill each burger until cooked through (timing will depend on your grilling method and heat. I use an indoor electric grill that cook both sides at once, so it's super fast).
- When burgers cooking, make the tzatziki sauce by placing all sauce ingredients in a food processor and blending gently (it only takes a few pulses - you don't want the sauce to be soupy).
- When burgers are cooked, sprinkle each patty with feta cheese and allow cheese to melt slightly.
- Toast ciabatta rolls (I placed the rolls, cut-side-down, on the grill after taking the burgers off).
- Generously spread each side of a sliced ciabatta roll with tzatziki sauce and then top with burger, tomatoes, lettuce, and anything else you might enjoy!
A few shots of the preparation:
Add all the toppings and you’ve got yourself a gourmet burger, Greek-style!
Need more quick 15 minute recipe ideas? Check out these other great #15MinuteSuppers!
- Green Chile Stuffed Burgers from Around My Family Table
- Spicy Hot Wing Burger from Cute as a Fox
- Greek-style Gourmet Burgers from Better in Bulk
- Pimento Cheese Burger from Jen’s Journey
- Spicy Green Chile Cowboy Burger from Liz on Call
- Sprouts & Avocado Burger from Upstate Ramblings
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken Burgers from Famished Fish, Finicky Shark
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Black Bean Burgers from East Valley Mom Guide
- Southwestern Bacon Cheeseburgers with Guacamole from Mom Endeavors
BLOGGERS: Would you like to join us at #15MinuteSuppers? We’d love to have you! Please check out the 15 Minute Suppers website or ask to join the Facebook group (for bloggers) to participate on Fridays…we’d love to have you join us.
© 2014 – 2016, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.