Nothing keeps little ones busy and works on fine motor development like playdough. Make your own, add some delicious holiday scent and a little sparkle to really put it over the top with your kids! Peppermint adds a fresh new aspect to homemade playdough and involves yet another of your child’s senses in on the fun. Set out playdough with rollers, cookie cutters, craft sticks, stamps, etc. to make the fun last even longer and open up their creativity. This would be perfect for winter themed parties, Frozen play time, or anytime for scented play. Note: affiliate links used within this post.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ cup salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil or coconut oil
- 2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 5-8 drops peppermint essential oil (or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract)
- Heat water in microwave for 2 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt, hot water, vegetable oil, and cream of tartar in a large bowl until well combined and mixture begins to cool.
- Add peppermint and glitter to the amounts you prefer, remove from bowl and knead on counter for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container, mine usually lasts several months.
- If it begins to dry out just add a bit of oil.
This play dough also makes a great homemade gift idea for any little ones in your life. Put it in a pretty jar and tie on a cookie cutter for a sweet handmade gift they will love.
Homemade playdough is so easy to make, and so fun to play with. Make a few batches and add a few drops of food coloring so you’ve got several different colors for some hands-on indoor winter fun!
Here are some visual instructions:
Heat, mix and knead…
Add some sparkles…
Squish, roll, shape, and have FUN!
For more Christmas and winter ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Cranberry Stove Top Potpourri Recipe by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Christmas Practice Writing Sheets by A Mom’s Take
- Red Velvet Cookies with Cream Cheese Drizzle by Mom Does It All
- Christmas in a Jar by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Ornament Christmas Tree Picture by Simply Southern Mom
- Easy Challah Bread Rolls from Your Bread Machine by Day By Dy In Our World
- DIY Christmas Mouse Ornaments by Blessed Elements
- Homemade Cinnamon Snowflake Ornament by MommaDJane
- Graham Cracker Reindeer by This Mama Loves
- DIY Glittered Christmas Ornaments by How Was Your Day?
- Peppermint Bath Salts by Style on Main
- DIY Advent Calendar by Upstate Ramblings
- Cream Cheese Biscuit Puffs by Jennifer Sikora
© 2015, Food Fun Family. All rights reserved.
Mistee Dawn says
Aww, this is cute and fun! I will definitely be making this with my daughter!
Ellen Christian (@ellenblogs) says
What a fun idea! I love the scent of peppermint!
shelly peterson says
It has been a while since we made play dough for my grandson. I love the idea of making this peppermint scented and adding glitter. We will have to make this.